Title block customization

Author
A
Supreme Being (173 reputation)Supreme Being (173 reputation)Supreme Being (173 reputation)Supreme Being (173 reputation)Supreme Being (173 reputation)Supreme Being (173 reputation)Supreme Being (173 reputation)Supreme Being (173 reputation)Supreme Being (173 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It would be nice if there was a [CustomProject/Reference] and a [CustomDrawing/Reference] that could be added where we can set our own. I feel like if you are to add a bunch then many people would just have garbage fields, and many would not have quite what they are looking for.
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (374K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Once inserted, a Title Block is just a symbol and can be re-sized in the same way; in the Properties Grid change Handle Behavior from the default value of 'Move' to 'Resize'.

But, it should never be necessary to resize a Title Block.  The Title Block should be added to a completed drawing at which time it will size itself to fit the drawing.  If you need to make changes to the drawing that change its size, delete and re-insert the Title Block (or just insert the Title Block again; the existing Title Block will be replaced by the new one).

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
joostjac
joostjac
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi Rob,

Since update to 7.2 im not able anymore to resize my title block. Is this coincidence of am I doing some wrong?

If ill try to resize at the corners of my title block, it only moves.

Thnx
joostjac
joostjac
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)
Hi Rob,

Thankyou.

There was indeed an object outside the print area.

Now it works fine.

Thanks!
AnttiR
AnttiR
Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)
Thanks Rob!

I'll try 3rd party PDF printers.

Regards,
Antti
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Export to PDF is a fairly basic function with no assignable options.  The effect you describe is a result of downsampling the image to a low resolution (dpi) setting which is optimized for filesize.

To generate PDFs and access document settings we recommend using a third party PDF Writer; many are available and one such is CutePDF - this is a free utility that manifests as a printer (so you can print from any application to PDF) and it includes advanced settings such as image resolution (Graphic | Print Quality) with options from 72dpi up to 4000dpi.  You should find that image sampling to 300dpi or 600dpi suits your purposes.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
AnttiR
AnttiR
Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)Supreme Being (420 reputation)
Hi!

I've edited a title block, no problems on that, but on PDF export, the company logo goes more or less blurry. Of course it depends on the sheet size, but whatsoever it doesn't keep sharp. Logo is placed on Title block layer.
On the SD7 the logo remains sharp until extreme zoom in. I tried also importing the image on the design instead of title block and tried different formats and different images, they all go blurry.

Any advice on this?
Tags
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Joost,

The screengrab looks like the printer driver is returning the wrong margins, or perhaps there are objects in the drawing outside of the title block.

To see the extents of the objects in the drawing use Ctrl+A - this will show red handles around the whole drawing.  If the handles are outside the title block there are some objects that should be deleted.

If the drawing extents look correct, try using CutePDF (www.cutepdf.com) as an alternative PDF writer. 

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
joostjac
joostjac
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

The Draw Area I have found and changed. That works better already.

The resizing together with shift locks indeed the ratio of the Title block. Although when I want to print the drawing it looks like the drawing is still smaller then A3 size.

Whats going wrong? 

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12814418_995521647183951_2530114652678793139_n.jpg?oh=c9616aeb0bafbc034bcbe1cd6e7bc420&oe=5762010F

Edited 8 Years Ago by joostjac
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Joost,

The easiest solution will be to resize the title block in the drawing: hold down the Shift key when you resize it to maintain its A3 proportions.  You may think that this is wrong since you're changing the size of the title block, so it can't be A3 anymore, but this is to misunderstand what is actually happening.  The size of the title block is irrelevant, because the whole drawing is scaled to fit the page when you go to print it.  What's important is the proportions of the title block, so always resize the title block, never the drawing.

There is also another solution:

In your custom title block there is a layer called Title Block Drawing Area (it is hidden by default).  On this layer there is a single rectangle.  This rectangle is used to define the area occupied by the drawing and, therefore, the scaling factor to apply to the title block when it is inserted.

In the title block template you could increase the size of this rectangle so that it fills the whole page, then re-insert the title block around the drawing.

Your custom title block is unusual because it has white space on 2 sides of the title area; most title areas occupy the whole of one edge of the title block.  For the drawing in the screenshot this solution will work because there is nothing in the bottom right corner of the drawing, but in some drawings this solution might mean that your drawing overlaps the title area.  In this case you should use the first solution to 'tweak' the size and position of the title block.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...