Stardraw Forums

Title block customization

http://forums.stardraw.com/Topic8540.aspx

By Howard Quinton - 12/28/2011 1:42:49 PM

I do not see any method of locking the aspect ratio of custom logos when placing them into the title block and scaling them to fit. Need these for ours, architects, and consultants.

Need to be able to bring in CAD title blocks matching Original job project and capability to add Document Fields associated with text and attributes.

Need to be able to add more many more texts fields associated with attributes within the title block tool Document Field.
By Rob Robinson - 12/29/2011 3:42:26 AM

I do not see any method of locking the aspect ratio of custom logos when placing them into the title block and scaling them to fit. Need these for ours, architects, and consultants.

Thanks for identifying this - we hope to add this shortly.

Need to be able to bring in CAD title blocks matching Original job project and capability to add Document Fields associated with text and attributes.

You can use anything you want as a custom title block, including DWG-derived objects. In your custom title block template file simply import the desired DWG and use it as the base for the page size/orientation you want - see the movie "Customizing your Title Blocks" at http://www.stardraw.com/products/stardrawdesign7/movies.asp.

As part of the customization you will probably paste the DWG into existing drawing tabs. Note that our default title block templates include a layer called "Title Block Drawing Area" which contains a single rectangle defining the usable area inside the title block into which the drawing to which you apply the title block will fit. You will probably need to show the layer and re-size the rectangle appropriately for the title block.

The simplest way to implement replacement of text fields would be to copy the text objects from our default title blocks. You'll spot these as they contain square brackets and are in the format [Provider/Property] so, for example, to replace with the project's client details use [Project/Client] and to replace with the document's 'Issued For' property use [Document/Issued For].

Need to be able to add more many more texts fields associated with attributes within the title block tool Document Field.

What fields specifically?
By Howard Quinton - 12/31/2011 12:36:04 AM

In all of our current title blocks in Stardraw 7 be they ours our the projects title block we have ten revision attributes 1-10 that are associated with text that is placed withing the titile bock revision section. We open up the titile block attributes add the revision notes, date, and initials and it is attached with the title block no matter how it is sized or moved. This also is associated with a revision report that allows us to print out and determain what was done from construction submittals to the Document of Record or any where in between. Another function that makes Design 7 unusable for or work model.
By Howard Quinton - 12/31/2011 12:38:35 AM

What fields specifically?

This should not even be a question.

We should be able to add infinate fields to the title block as in Stardraw 7.
By Markus - 1/19/2012 9:16:19 AM

I´m a bit confused. When typing in [Project/Address] I get Author details Address. Can you please give me the right path for following field information or tell me where to find.

Would need.

Client information - Address

Project information - Address

Author details - Phone

Author details Website

Thanks for your help
By zuk123 - 1/19/2012 9:25:27 PM

I'm looking for this info too. Where are those autofilling fields stored? Where are they coming from?

I have modified the stock title block, and the autofilled text is not lining up the way I would like. How is this text justified, sized, positioned, etc? (I see the horizontal alignment attribute in the attribute box. Where does it start from on the page when it is "center" "near" or "far"?

I don't see a way to have the text fill a specific area.

Is there a place to set the vertical alignment?

zuk
By epaul - 1/26/2012 3:11:18 PM

I'm also looking for this information.

What are the autofill text available for the title blocks and what are the directories we must enter into the square brackets to have them displayed?

Thanks.
By Rob Robinson - 1/26/2012 4:18:00 PM

The following fields are available

[Project\Client] = in Project Details page, Client Information, Name
[Project\Title] = in Project Details page, Project information, Project Title
[Project\Company] = in Project Details page, Author Details, Company
[Project\Address] = in Project Details page, Autor Details, Address
[Document\Title] = in Title Block dialog, Title
[Document\Drawn By] = in Title Block dialog, Drawn By
[Document\Date] = in Title Block dialog, Date
[Document\Issued For] = in Title Block dialog, Issued For
[Document\Drawing Number] = in Title Block dialog, Drawing Number
[Document\Revision] = in Title Block dialog, Revision

Requests for additional substitution fields have been noted and these will be added in due course.
By epaul - 1/27/2012 8:45:01 AM

This was exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much Rob.

In particular, I was hoping the following fields would also be able to have to auto fill capabilities in the future:

[Project\Client Address]

[Project\Reference]

[Project\Notes]

[Project\Author]

Thanks again Rob
By epaul - 1/27/2012 8:45:01 AM

In particular, I was hoping the following fields would also be able to have to auto fill capabilities in the future:

[Project\Client Address]

[Project\Reference]

[Project\Notes]

[Project\Author]

Thanks again Rob
By epaul - 1/27/2012 8:45:11 AM

[Project\Client Address]

[Project\Reference]

[Project\Notes]

[Project\Author]

Thanks again Rob
By Rob Robinson - 3/27/2012 1:54:37 PM

We have published an update that exposes al project values for use in title blocks. You can install the update by choosing Help | Check for Updates, or just accept updates next time you run Stardraw Design 7.

Full details for this update can be seen at http://forums.stardraw.com/Topic9298.aspx
By galaxyguide - 8/6/2012 8:12:01 PM

Hi Rob,

I do not understand how the program refrences these fields.

I am customizing our titleblock, including moving fields around. Some of these fields are filled in from what I have filled in under Project details on the dashboard. Some do not seem accessible to me after I insert the customized title block.

If you please I would appreciate you having a look. Sample drawing with inserted the titleblock, and the template file attached. Just look at Landscape B..... oh, I can't upload an .s07 file. I'll send it to your email.

Thank you very much,

Linda
By Rob Robinson - 8/6/2012 9:07:46 PM

Hi Linda,

I have received your files - thank you - and they seem to work fine.

The fields for Drawing Number, Drawn By, Title etc are all set in the Title Block dialog. You have not set any values in this dialog which is why the fields appear blank upon insertion.

All fields prefixed "Document" take their values from the Title Block Dialog and these values are stored in the document in case you wish to substitute a new title block later.

I hope this is helpful.

Please also refer to Help - search for "Substitution Fields"
By galaxyguide - 8/8/2012 3:49:48 AM

Perfect. Thank you.
By chrisccs - 8/19/2012 3:00:29 PM

Hi Rob,It surely isn't a big deal, but after looking 5 times at your video, I still can't figure out how you change all the corners from round to right angle in one go.
As soon as I select (using shift) a second rectangle, the geometry tab disappears from the property frame.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Oh and by the way, is the request for a method to maintain the aspect ratio of a logo made 8 months ago fullfilled? I couldn't find the tool and the alternative way to introduice a logo directly withing tools / personification does also spoil my logo.

Thanks
By Rob Robinson - 8/20/2012 8:10:12 AM

Hi Christian,

Since recording that video we have changed the way multiple selections are handled by the Properties Grid. The goal was to make it easier to change the styling of different types of object at the same time, but it looks like a small bug has crept in so that the specific geometry of objects is not being shown when you have selected more than one object, even if they're of the same type; in this case the Corner Radius of Rectangles.

Thanks for alerting us to this - we'll get on it.

Proportional resizing is still in the works (you can use the shift key while resizing, but it is not 100% robust yet), but with regard to inserting an image from Peronalization | Personal Details, start with a square image and all should be well, e.g. add white borders top and bottom, or left and right, to the existing image to make it square.
By Wolf Wallace - 3/9/2015 7:42:26 PM

I too would love additional fields. A couple others would be, all in the project details page
Project info / Address
Client info / Address
Client info / Main contact / Name
Client info / Main contact / Phone
Client info / Main Contact / Email
Notes
Basically all the fields on the project details page would be helpful; as well as some User Defined fields either in the porject or the document. After watching the two video's I found online I did play around with different combinations and was able to make a couple more of these fields show up. But not all.

By Rob Robinson - 3/9/2015 8:14:10 PM

Hi Wolf,

All existing fields can be used as substitution fields in the Title Block.  Check the Help file (http://blob.stardraw.com/www/products/stardrawdesign7/help/Intro.htm) and look in the Index under Substitution Fields.
By Wolf Wallace - 3/9/2015 8:24:55 PM

That's perfect! I wasn't sure of how to phrase what I was looking for in the help. Thanks so much for responding back so quickly.
By Wolf Wallace - 3/10/2015 4:47:16 PM

So thank you very much for indicating where to find those fields, I guess I should have opened my eyes a bit more when reading through everything. However I have come across something that I am not sure is me doing something wrong or a bug.

I have customized my title block, and in the drawing for that I have a couple different layers, the main "Title & Borders" layer and the "Title Block Drawing Area" layer that came as defaults. I have created three other layers as well "Title Block Wiring Notes," "Title Block ETC Notes" and "Title Block Cover Page." In the ANSI Template I can turn these layers on and off through the View\Layers button with no problems. However, when I add this title block to an existing drawing using the Drawing\Title Block feature, it gets added with all the graphics and words from all the layers, but I cannot find these layers under the View\Layers dialog box to turn off the layers I don't want on specific pages. According to the online help, any layers that I created should be transferred to the drawing, but they are not.

If need be i can email the template file and a regular project.
By Rob Robinson - 3/10/2015 10:34:09 PM

Hi Wolf,

The behavior you describe is actually 'by design'.  All objects in the title block template, except the Title Block Drawing Area, are merged on to the Title & Borders layer.  This is so that if you choose to change the title block, it is programmatically safe: SD7.1 deletes the current Title & Borders layer and the Title Block Drawing Area layer and replaces them with new layers from the newly selected template.

If arbitrary layers were included in the Title Block it could cause issues if/when you replace that Title Block.

I think you could probably achieve what you want by creating a UDP or Symbol to represent the information you want and then insert these using the Product Browser or Symbol Browser as appropriate.  This would create and persist whatever new layers you need.

[Edit] One other, possibly better solution would be to create copies of the template as new drawings in the title block template file, to give, for example, D-Size with Wiring Notes, D-Size with ETC Notes, D-Size Cover Page.

I hope this is helpful.

By RLa - 3/12/2015 4:40:42 AM

Have recently used S7.1 to import .dwg drawings and it worked well.
Just thought it will be more flexible if it can do imports from PDF as well.
By Rob Robinson - 3/12/2015 6:42:24 AM

Hi Reeve,

PDF Import takes this thread in a different direction, and it's a big topic.

PDF is an 'intermediate' format - whatever application originally generated the data in a PDF file did so in a different native format and that application will support a format that can be imported.  So if someone sends a PDF that has been generated by, for example, AutoCAD, we recommend that you request the original DWG file.  This skips the 'middleman' and means you can import the original, unconverted objects.

If the author is unwilling to supply the original file format there are many tools available to convert from PDF to DWG/DXF; Aide CAD is just one example. 
You may meet with different levels of success depending on the conversion tool that you use and the contents of the particular PDF file; because it's an intermediary file format it is impossible to know how much of the original (e.g. DWG) data has been lost or changed in the conversion to PDF.

However the PDF was generated, the author of the original data is always able to provide a format that is better for use in other applications, especially where editing is required, and the first and best approach is to get the original, unmodified data.
By Wolf Wallace - 3/12/2015 1:30:35 PM

Thank you Rob. That is very helpful; I thought I was losing my mind. I like the idea of creating different Title Blocks for the different pages, except that If I need to make a change to the Title Block iteslf I need to make it across multiple templates. However, I don't think that will happen very often so that is the way I am going to proceed. 

Thanks for the quick response to this.

-Wolf
By Wolf Wallace - 3/14/2015 4:17:21 PM

Hi there Rob. I think I'm missing a step. I have  customized an existing title block to meet my needs. Per the suggestion above I copied that title block to a new drawing. I've tried Pictoral and Schematic. The drawing looks right but even after saving it with a different name, when I try to insert it into another files drawing it does not come through. Is there something in the copying process that changes the drawing from the original template to just a drawing and not a "Title Block" template? I can only get the original template provided by you folks that I have modified to behave correctly.
By Rob Robinson - 3/14/2015 5:03:52 PM

Hi Wolf,

Have you included the rectangle that's on the layer Title Block Drawing Area?  This is critical for title block functionality.
By Wolf Wallace - 3/14/2015 6:19:30 PM

I had included that in there. I went back to your original suggestion about creating UDP and Symbol for the cover page and notes. an after figuring out t afew things, seem sto be workig just fine. Still not sure why the copied templates would not bewhave properly. Perhaps after I finish this project for my client I will re-investigate that.
By Rob Robinson - 3/15/2015 7:27:39 AM

Hi Wolf,

Take a look in the Help file - the topic Title Block Customization has comprehensive instructions on the steps to follow and the things to look out for.
By simplyworks.at - 2/13/2016 8:13:40 AM

Actually I tried to import as dwg which is just a title block, opened in different applications,
ans dwg viewer shows the empty title block
but when importing, the file is empty, 
it asks for layers, dxf conversion,...but doesn't come up with the title blocks from that document.
in older versions the title block was just somewhere beside the drawing, 
using WYSIWYG, Capture, SketchUp,...StarDraw

so how do i get these title blocks into my StarDraw file,

thx

andi512
By Rob Robinson - 2/13/2016 8:22:58 AM

Hi Andi,

Please email the DWG file to techsupport@stardraw.com - we will be happy to take a look at it.

What application was used to create the DWG?  Was it AutoCAD or something else?
By joostjac - 3/3/2016 2:03:02 PM

Hi Rob,

I have out my own custom title block (A3) around my schematic drawing. I found how to move the title block. But how can i enlarge the drawing a bit? There is now too much loss of paper and not enough details visible.

When I resize the title block is actually makes the A3 size smaller, which is not what i need. This is visible in the screenshot.

Thank you!

By Rob Robinson - 3/3/2016 2:21:12 PM

Hi Joost,

The easiest solution will be to resize the title block in the drawing: hold down the Shift key when you resize it to maintain its A3 proportions.  You may think that this is wrong since you're changing the size of the title block, so it can't be A3 anymore, but this is to misunderstand what is actually happening.  The size of the title block is irrelevant, because the whole drawing is scaled to fit the page when you go to print it.  What's important is the proportions of the title block, so always resize the title block, never the drawing.

There is also another solution:

In your custom title block there is a layer called Title Block Drawing Area (it is hidden by default).  On this layer there is a single rectangle.  This rectangle is used to define the area occupied by the drawing and, therefore, the scaling factor to apply to the title block when it is inserted.

In the title block template you could increase the size of this rectangle so that it fills the whole page, then re-insert the title block around the drawing.

Your custom title block is unusual because it has white space on 2 sides of the title area; most title areas occupy the whole of one edge of the title block.  For the drawing in the screenshot this solution will work because there is nothing in the bottom right corner of the drawing, but in some drawings this solution might mean that your drawing overlaps the title area.  In this case you should use the first solution to 'tweak' the size and position of the title block.

I hope this is helpful.
By joostjac - 3/3/2016 6:38:24 PM

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

The Draw Area I have found and changed. That works better already.

The resizing together with shift locks indeed the ratio of the Title block. Although when I want to print the drawing it looks like the drawing is still smaller then A3 size.

Whats going wrong? 

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12814418_995521647183951_2530114652678793139_n.jpg?oh=c9616aeb0bafbc034bcbe1cd6e7bc420&oe=5762010F
By Rob Robinson - 3/3/2016 6:49:09 PM

Hi Joost,

The screengrab looks like the printer driver is returning the wrong margins, or perhaps there are objects in the drawing outside of the title block.

To see the extents of the objects in the drawing use Ctrl+A - this will show red handles around the whole drawing.  If the handles are outside the title block there are some objects that should be deleted.

If the drawing extents look correct, try using CutePDF (www.cutepdf.com) as an alternative PDF writer. 
By AnttiR - 3/6/2016 10:04:43 PM

Hi!

I've edited a title block, no problems on that, but on PDF export, the company logo goes more or less blurry. Of course it depends on the sheet size, but whatsoever it doesn't keep sharp. Logo is placed on Title block layer.
On the SD7 the logo remains sharp until extreme zoom in. I tried also importing the image on the design instead of title block and tried different formats and different images, they all go blurry.

Any advice on this?
By Rob Robinson - 3/6/2016 10:20:45 PM

Export to PDF is a fairly basic function with no assignable options.  The effect you describe is a result of downsampling the image to a low resolution (dpi) setting which is optimized for filesize.

To generate PDFs and access document settings we recommend using a third party PDF Writer; many are available and one such is CutePDF - this is a free utility that manifests as a printer (so you can print from any application to PDF) and it includes advanced settings such as image resolution (Graphic | Print Quality) with options from 72dpi up to 4000dpi.  You should find that image sampling to 300dpi or 600dpi suits your purposes.

I hope this is helpful.
By AnttiR - 3/6/2016 10:24:34 PM

Thanks Rob!

I'll try 3rd party PDF printers.

Regards,
Antti
By joostjac - 3/7/2016 11:35:58 AM

Hi Rob,

Thankyou.

There was indeed an object outside the print area.

Now it works fine.

Thanks!
By joostjac - 12/1/2016 1:53:58 PM

Hi Rob,

Since update to 7.2 im not able anymore to resize my title block. Is this coincidence of am I doing some wrong?

If ill try to resize at the corners of my title block, it only moves.

Thnx
By Rob Robinson - 12/1/2016 2:21:31 PM

Once inserted, a Title Block is just a symbol and can be re-sized in the same way; in the Properties Grid change Handle Behavior from the default value of 'Move' to 'Resize'.

But, it should never be necessary to resize a Title Block.  The Title Block should be added to a completed drawing at which time it will size itself to fit the drawing.  If you need to make changes to the drawing that change its size, delete and re-insert the Title Block (or just insert the Title Block again; the existing Title Block will be replaced by the new one).

I hope this is helpful.
By AKeller - 5/3/2017 8:58:21 PM

It would be nice if there was a [CustomProject/Reference] and a [CustomDrawing/Reference] that could be added where we can set our own. I feel like if you are to add a bunch then many people would just have garbage fields, and many would not have quite what they are looking for.