Questions about attributes

Author
chrisccs
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Rob,

As I was going through some of the features, I discover that my out of the box software didn't feature the cost price, sale price as a default attribute for the product. This seemed weird as in the report tab of the dashboard their are plenty of reports "playing" with the attribute. Is that normal?

So, I felt the need to play the video about attributes again.

In the first part of it, you are discribing how we can add attributes from the tool / personalisation / setting window.

So I did, updated the attribute value enter a value for both prices and played with the reports. All worked fine.

Then I resumed the video where you are talking about updating the data base with price value once for all.

This starts in tool / personalisation / Product attributes.

Strangely there I see the cost price and the sale price appearing and because of a capital letter that is there and not in in the attribute added by me in the setting, I know for sure that they are likely not the consequences of what I did before.

Anyway, I go on, and open the excell sheet. There as mentionned in the video, I discover one tab for each of the manufacturer included in my library.

The limit of 255 tabs in Excell might appear as an explanation of the new system you implemented for the libraries, anyway off topic.

So I entered a price in there, updated my attribute and it is working perfectely as well.

Now back to the dashboard in the products tab. The table there doesn't show a colomn with sale an cost price but it does on your video. Is that a problem with me?

Another question, imagine the following scenario, I'm using a lot of blank panel for instance that are not comming from any of the manufacturers available from the library. I would use a blank panel comming out of the generics symbols.

Imagine now that I want to improve the quality of the product reports to get a purchase list that features the manufacturer name and ref.

I see two way to do that:

1 create a UDP from the generic blank panel and introduce there manufacturer name, reference, etc and then update other atributes from the excell sheet.
The down side of this is that I would have to add hundreds of products in the UDP which is seriously time consuming.

2 I could go into tool / personalisation / Product attributes and add the manufacturer name and reference as new editable attribut for all the parts. This would obviously be completely redundant for all the product as that information is already included in the data base, except for the generics.

What is your view on that?

A last question, what is happening to the values (prices) you entered into the table when you offload a library because you reached the end of your manufacturer allowance and you need to add another one?

Thanks

Christian

Christian Delvaux

Back in Belgium !
Replies
chrisccs
chrisccs
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Rob,

I started a new project, here below is what you see as an product properties before you do anything:

http://forums.stardraw.com/Uploads/Images/d1a290e3-7e53-4016-af0b-9cc5.JPG

So compaired to what appears into your video this is missing the cost and sale price so you go to add those attribute in settings:

http://forums.stardraw.com/Uploads/Images/ebc41c96-5be1-4fed-8517-2846.JPG

There you notice it's missing so you add it!!! wrong!

Because when you want to edit the price strait from the database you discover this:

http://forums.stardraw.com/Uploads/Images/218fa9ec-26c7-43b4-a8a4-7ff1.JPG

but as long as you didn't enter a value in the database, your product page looks like this:

http://forums.stardraw.com/Uploads/Images/6338ba14-ce52-435c-89e3-cfd8.JPG

which doesn't show any prices columns

after I included my set of price attribute the properties frame looks like this:

http://forums.stardraw.com/Uploads/Images/9713530e-7199-4b49-89fd-f70f.JPG

the prices you see there are the ones that I created, not the one of the database.

The properties frame shown below is the one of a product that has a database input:

http://forums.stardraw.com/Uploads/Images/c283df53-84be-4104-8bb6-5fd1.JPG

There you can see that the attribute only appears in the properties frame when there is an input of the value in the database. And this is product related. a product without value will not be shown.

I understand I made something wrong but I was seriously missguided by the fact that your presentation make extensive use of product that has the price attributes populated in the database.

Hope it helps

Christian Delvaux

Back in Belgium !
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (374K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Chris,

I understand.

Please add 'Cost Price' and 'Sale Price' (exactly as they appear in the Product Attributes dialog) to the Settings dialog. This will ensure that the placeholders are created even if values have not been entered in the Product Attributes spreadsheet.

Then, if you do add values to the spreadsheet, these will be used as you add new products. All should be well!

We're taking steps to ensure that the default attribute settings support the expected functionality.

Apologies for the confusion this caused, but thanks for helping us get to the bottom of it.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View
Threaded View
chrisccs - 12 Years Ago
Rob Robinson - 12 Years Ago
chrisccs - 12 Years Ago
                 Rob, I deleted the attributes that I created in...
chrisccs - 12 Years Ago
                         Rob, Thanks for your answer. just to make sure, you read my two...
chrisccs - 12 Years Ago
                             Hi Chris, I'm trying to understand why Cost Price and Sale Price were...
                                 Hi Rob, I started a new project, here below is what you see as an...
chrisccs - 12 Years Ago
                                     Hi Chris, I understand. Please add 'Cost Price' and 'Sale Price'...