I need help importing DXF/DWG files so I may use them regularly from my own symbols stash - please

I need help importing DXF/DWG files so I may use them regularly from...
Author
JohnParker,CTS,CSP
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
As a user of Stardraw A/V since pre-version 1; I was quite used to be able to save a solution and use it as a template. Redrawing integration to a fire alarm system does not need to be redrawn every time. I have been working on a schematic that utilizes/requires symbols not currently present on Stardraw. I'll request, but the presentation is in 7 hours! I went to the manufacturers website and downloaded a dxf/dwg drawing, and I've tried unsuccesfully to add to my user defined products but.... I am only given a rather limited list if I want to 'add' a pictorial, block, panel or rack image.

I would greatly appreciate direction in point form from start to finish of how do I get a dwg/dxf of a product into my user defined section? I'd be happy with another Youtube link as a response.

Thanks
John
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (371K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi John,

You can use the Edit Symbols mode to add anything you want to the symbols for a User Defined Product (UDP). The movie "Adding New Products" might be useful.

With regard to the specific task of incorporating DWG content in a UDP symbol, these are the general steps:

1) Create the UDP as normal.

2) Use File | Import to import the DWG file. Since the initial state of the objects in the imported DWG will be that they are grouped, you will probably want to Ungroup so that you can select the parts of the file you want, then Copy.

3) Return to one of the drawing tabs in your project that shows the UDP in the Product Browser, e.g. a Block Schematic drawing. Rightclick on the UDP and select Edit Symbols

4) Go to the symbol tab that you want and paste in the objects copied from the imported DWG

5) When you have completed your changes, click on the 'X' top right of the symbol editor to close Symbol Editing mode. Be sure to save changes.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
JohnParker,CTS,CSP
JohnParker,CTS,CSP
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I did try that - and it didn't work first time around. Tried it again however and all is good. Appreciate the prompt response.Cheers
John
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...