Developing rack and pictorial icons

Author
mptadam
Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I started using the Stardraw A/V demo yesterday and am really enjoying it. Ridiculously easy to pick up and I've been making diagrams for every system I could possibly need. I've been using the Symbol Wizard as well which has been great. I sent a diagram to a colleague who has used Stardraw previously, though he was most familiar with the pictorial schematics. We got to talking and neither of us can figure out how to design new symbols for rack mode or pictorial mode, and I can't find any info creating new symbols for these modes.

I figured I'd search the forum before I hit submit, and I found this http://www.stardraw.com/forums/FindPost3356.aspx

Should I create a symbol and save it with the appropriate file name in the appropriate location so that I've got pictorial and rack images?
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (371K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Thanks for the kind words about Stardraw AV - we're glad you like it.

Probably the best way to create new rack/pictorial symbols is to use the contents of the Generic Components library.  Start with a Rackmount Unit and go from there.  The Generic Components library for Rack Layouts contains rack mount cases, handles, knobs, buttons, switches and faders to name but a few categories of component, and even manufacturer logos.

When you've completed your symbol, simply drag it into the Library List under the My Libraries root.  You'll find it helpful to build a folder structure similar to the Offline Libraries structure, i.e. 'Racks' | [manufacturer] | [group].  Rightclick to create/rename/delete folders.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com

mptadam
mptadam
Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)Supreme Being (486 reputation)
sweet, thanks
Uros Cvijan
Uros Cvijan
Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)
How can I make a rack unit, but with all the details? To make it clear, for example i want to make Bosch message manager, i open autocad drawing cause there i have all the knobs, switches, etc.., but i just cant make rear view and side view. I change the layer, change the view, but every change i make in those layers, it seems to change in front view layer.. So is there a chance to make block in rack layout,but with all the views,not just front? And is there a way to connect those rack blocks with pictorial and block schematic. So i want to do what you do when you are not around to do it. To make product,and link it with his rack and pictorial block. I really hope you understood me.

Still, you dont have some of those products in your base, so i am gonna request them now,but i just want to know if there is possibility to make one myself,if something is urgent and i cant wait on your update..

Thank You
Edited 13 Years Ago by Uros Cvijan
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (371K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Uros,

There are several ways to do this and many different techniques that could be helpful, but it is quite an advanced task.  One way is as follows:

1. Start a new Rack Drawing
  2. Using symbols from the Racks | Generic Components library choose your Rackmount Unit and start building the front view using other Generic Components.  Note: for front-mounted connectors use Connectors Front
  3. Switch to the Rear View and add rear-mount connectors from the Connectors Rear folder.
  4. Go back to the Front View and choose Edit | Select All (or ctrl+A) then drag the selection into the Library List under My Libraries.  Note: we use Select All because it will select the objects that are not visible in the Front View and allow you to drag the whole symbol, including hidden objects in the rear view, side view etc, into My Libraries so that you can use it in other drawings.

You can doubleclick on the symbol you've created undr My Libraries to edit it.  If you want to use views when editing the symbol you must set the Environment attribute to "Rack Layout" (without quotes).  Access Attributes for the symbol by rightclicking somewhere in the main drawing window and selecting "Document" then go to the Attributes page.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...