Title Block in Print Area

Author
J
Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello!

I'm trying to print only a section of a larger project's block schematic, but the only decent way I've found of doing this is a hassle (adding the title block, dragging it to only show the section I want, adjusting the scale and setting a new print area).
Is there an easier or better way?
Hughes
H
Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)
Hi JoaoRocha,

I've been also facing this situation. See post http://forums.stardraw.com/Topic18951.aspx

A nice feature could be a "Set Print Area From Title Block" and then we just have to manage the margins to get a print out always at scale.

Hughes

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (370K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Joao,

Thanks for your post.  Unfortunately there is currently no easy way to take an arbitrary area from an existing drawing and represent this area in a Title Block as a new drawing, or for printing purposes.

Functionality of this type is something we're looking into for a future version.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Hughes
H
Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)Supreme Being (165 reputation)
Hi Rob,

Is there a way to assign numerical values to the "Set Print Area" ?
My purpose is to assign to the Print Area the same bounding rectangle absolute coordinates than the "printable" rectangle in the Title Block Drawing Area layer.

This will be an easier way to match the print area to a Title Block than dragging the two "Set Print Area" corners precisely above that Title Block. Especially since both mouse-wheel zoom and Snap to Path functions are not active when "Set Print Area" is in use.

Another suggestion to reach that purpose is a function to set the print area from the outbound area of a(the) selected object(s). If I'm not wrong, It's already that underlying mechanism that is used when printing (=selecting all objects of) an entire drawing.

I hope to see such a functionality in a future update.

Hughes

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Hughes,

The only way to set Print Area is as you see; by dragging the Set Print Area rectangle.

I don't fully understand what you describe.  Today, as you know, it is not possible to use the area described by Print Area in another drawing, or in combination with other objects in print.  What is the end result you are trying to achieve? 

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Hughes
H
Hi Rob,

My purpose is the same one explained by JoaoRocha in this topic: only print a portion of a large project with ease.
But more for me, no matter if a Title block is present.

If the drawing is very large (A0); dragging the Set Print Area rectangle with accuracy is impracticable. And as I mentioned: especially since both mouse-wheel zoom and Snap to Path functions are not active when setting a Print Area.

So my suggestion is a function where the Print Area is set from the virtual rectangle in witch one or more selected objects are inscribed. This could be a Print Selected Items option in the Print dialog.

And if e.g., the selected object is a Title Block Drawing Area inside a large drawing, that is the situation described above by JoaoRocha.

Moreover, this is probably what is done to define the print output when an entire drawing is formatted in the Print dialog (?).

I hope that now you better understand what i'm trying to achieve.

Hughes

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Hughes,

Understood - we appreciate the suggestion; the final implementation will be designed to offer the functionality, power and flexibility to achieve not only what you seek but more besides.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
JoaoRocha
J
Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)Forum Guru (54 reputation)
Rob Robinson - 11/8/2022 9:01:28 AM
Hi Hughes,

Understood - we appreciate the suggestion; the final implementation will be designed to offer the functionality, power and flexibility to achieve not only what you seek but more besides.

Hello!

I second Hughes' suggestion, and am looking forward to the final implementation as I'm sure it'll help many more Stardraw users than just us two.

Thank you both,
JoaoRocha
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...