Copy and Paste IDs

Author
a
Supreme Being (538 reputation)Supreme Being (538 reputation)Supreme Being (538 reputation)Supreme Being (538 reputation)Supreme Being (538 reputation)Supreme Being (538 reputation)Supreme Being (538 reputation)Supreme Being (538 reputation)Supreme Being (538 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Can someone please explain how the unique ID works when copying and Pasteur’s

I’ve a drawing whereby if I copy and then paste to he same drawing all pasted objects appear to get a new ID. If I copy from one drawing and paste into a new drawing some IDs stay same as the source. This is causing issues when changing details on new drawing as original is also affected

Thanks

Adam
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (370K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Adam,

Stardraw Design 7.3 supports the representation of a Product Instance - i.e. an instance of a Product in your Project - in more than one drawing.  This is how, for example, you can have a Block Schematic drawing of the system, and a Rack Layout drawing of the same system, without duplicating the count of Products in your Project. 

When you copy a symbol that represents a Product Instance you can paste into a drawing in which that Product Instance is already represented, e.g. the same drawing, or into a drawing.in which the Product Instance is not represented e.g. a new, empty drawing.  If the former, a new ID is generated because the original Product Instance is already there so pasting must create a new Product Instance which is then added to the Project.

If the latter, you're pasting a representation of the same Product Instance, so the ID is the same: it IS the selfsame Product Instance.

So, if you want to 'clone' a drawing to create new Product Instances you should copy (Ctrl+C), then paste (Ctrl+V) into the same drawing - which creates all new Product Instances - then cut (Ctrl+X) then go to the new drawing and Paste (Ctrl+V).

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Edited 5 Years Ago by Rob Robinson
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...