Stardraw Forums

Copy and Paste IDs

http://forums.stardraw.com/Topic18343.aspx

By adambroom - 7/22/2019 2:21:38 PM

Can someone please explain how the unique ID works when copying and Pasteur’s

I’ve a drawing whereby if I copy and then paste to he same drawing all pasted objects appear to get a new ID. If I copy from one drawing and paste into a new drawing some IDs stay same as the source. This is causing issues when changing details on new drawing as original is also affected

Thanks

Adam
By Rob Robinson - 7/22/2019 3:11:48 PM

Hi Adam,

Stardraw Design 7.3 supports the representation of a Product Instance - i.e. an instance of a Product in your Project - in more than one drawing.  This is how, for example, you can have a Block Schematic drawing of the system, and a Rack Layout drawing of the same system, without duplicating the count of Products in your Project. 

When you copy a symbol that represents a Product Instance you can paste into a drawing in which that Product Instance is already represented, e.g. the same drawing, or into a drawing.in which the Product Instance is not represented e.g. a new, empty drawing.  If the former, a new ID is generated because the original Product Instance is already there so pasting must create a new Product Instance which is then added to the Project.

If the latter, you're pasting a representation of the same Product Instance, so the ID is the same: it IS the selfsame Product Instance.

So, if you want to 'clone' a drawing to create new Product Instances you should copy (Ctrl+C), then paste (Ctrl+V) into the same drawing - which creates all new Product Instances - then cut (Ctrl+X) then go to the new drawing and Paste (Ctrl+V).

I hope this is helpful.