You don't have permission to open this file

Author
Ajay72
Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I created a project in Stardraw Design 7.0 (I'm not sure if it's relevant that it was 7.0). Now today I tried to open it and although I am signed in (and updated to 7.1) I'm getting the message "You do not have permission to open this file. Contact the owner or an administrator to obtain permission."

I believe I am the owner and administrator! Any help very much appreciated.
Tags
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (374K reputation)
Group: Administrators
That message suggests that the file is locked for editing - perhaps because the file is in use by another process.
We received an error report (thanks for sending it) that includes the data:
UnauthorizedAccessException
Access to the path 'C:\Users\Admin\Google Drive\Projects\54 - Wintle\Alders Road.s07' is denied.

It is possible that the file is being synchronized by Google Drive and this would explain why it's locked for editing.  This is something that can occur with synchronized folders because, by their nature, something else might be synchronizing a file when you try to access it from some other program.
I suggest copying the .S07 file to some other location, e.g. your Desktop, from where you will be able to open, edit and save it, then copy it back to the synchronized folder.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Ajay72
Ajay72
Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)
I've moved the file to my desktop and get the same message when I try to open it.
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Is the file read-only?  If so, change its Properties to make it writable.
If this does not solve the problem, please email the file to techsupport@stardraw.com and we will
investigate.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Ajay72
Ajay72
I tried attaching it to an email and it I get the same message again about not having permission. I could try Dropbox?
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson

Dropbox would be fine.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Ajay72
Ajay72
Can't upload it to DropBox, I don't have permission.
Ajay72
Ajay72
Google Drive is the same
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Since any file operation using any application causes the same message it is safe to assume that this is a file or system issue. 
Please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670/en-us#method12 and related topics. 

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
For those following the thread, Ajay72 solved the problem - which was a Windows file ownership/permission issue - by using a free third party utility which reset the permissions on every file on his PC.  This took a while, but it solved the problem which appears to be unrelated to Stardraw Design 7.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...