Copying symbols together with their attributes

Author
pftsol
Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

Is there a way to copy symbols within a drawing and to have the attributes follow the paste?

Regards,

Pasquale
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (371K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Pasquale,

Currently attribute values are discarded when symbols are copied and pasted. This is by design.

I don't think that there can be a universally 'right' (or 'wrong') behavior, because some attribute values might be unique to a product instance while others might be common to some or all product instances, but what in your opinion would be the most useful approach (feedback from everyone is welcome)?

1) Do not copy any attribute values. Instead, always set values after the product instance has been created. (Current behavior)

2) Copy all attribute values in products.

3) Copy all attribute values in products and cables.

4) Always ask whether or not to paste existing attribute values.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
pftsol
pftsol
Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)Supreme Being (6.8K reputation)
Hi Rob,

I've noticed that when copying cables attributes are copied; this comes in very handy and would also be handy for symbols when making add-ons and we can grab an existing symbol in the project and just change the concerned values. Within a same project multiple variables tend to remain the same in our case, except maybe location. I find myself doing a lot of typing every time I add a symbol to a project when the project itself is not completely scoped out from the beginning. We like to use your software to actually create the scope of work so it evolves constantly and there a lot of copy and paste going on. Thank you

Regards,
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
It sounds that the best scenario, then, would be always to copy any attribute with any object. Is that correct?

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
pftsol
pftsol
Indeed. I might be drifting out on another subject here but it seems to related to me: an object instance ID would be nice too so that between objects with the same identical characteristics we know exactly which object we are working with, especially in between drawings of the project (I believe this feature existed in the old version).

Pasquale
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Pasquale,

A couple of questions:

1. Should this Product Instance ID be created automatically?
  2. Should it be read-only, or do you want to assign your own unique IDs?

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
pftsol
pftsol
Hi Rob,

An automatic instance ID should be fine. Unique programmable instance ID could be an extra field for our proper use such in a case when you have 3 wall plates with identical features within the same room; this however can already be done through the existing feature of user definable attributes.

Thank you

Pasquale
gilparente
gilparente
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)
Hi Rob,

I'd like the identifiers to not be automatic, or at least make it editable. I always use identifiers with my designs and end up putting them as text fields above the block. It would be nice if that was an attribute that I could name and then copies would be automatically incrementally numbered.

For example: Wall plates are WPL-01, Mixers are MIX-01 and etc...

This would let me pull reports for all connections made on the design for a specific block, among other benefits.

thx

Gil

Gil Parente,

Design & Integration

Entertainment Arts, Inc.

gil@eartsinc.com
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
We're pleased to report that the update published today implements the functionality whereby Attribute values are persisted to copies of symbols. For full details of all of the changes introduced with this update see http://forums.stardraw.com/Topic11006.aspx

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...