Stardraw can't save, error message General fault in GDI+

Author
Mats
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I have now encountered this for the second time, first time I lost all work due to this problem, no it seems that I get the problem for the second time.

I have opened up a project, I have done a lot of small changes and fixes, and the system do a lot of Autosaves during the work, now I just press the SAVE icon, and it waits a few seconds, and then
I get (in Swedish, but I guess the translation will be) General fault in GDI+.

I can press ok, I can continue to work, but I can't SAVE!

If I look at my project (.s07) file in the server, It says it was updated on oct 12 (last time I worked with the project).

Where is Autosave storing the data ?
Something I can do to fix this ?
Some way to save the current work ?

Bestregards
Mats
Mats
Mats
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Have located a backup file, type .s05 (?) and copied this to another location.Have after some tries to save/export received this error message:

The following details will be sent to Stardraw.com Ltd:

0fba5872-5d42-4f34-8f28-7050f6678164
c3e42a80-ab44-46db-a4a5-ec93e236d070
2012-10-15 12:04:14
Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
4.0.30319.225 : .NET v2.0 (Service Pack 2) (Media Center)
Exception details:
ExternalException
Ett allmänt fel uppstod i GDI+.
vid System.Drawing.Image.Save(Stream stream, ImageCodecInfo encoder, EncoderParameters encoderParams)
vid System.Drawing.Image.Save(Stream stream, ImageFormat format)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CDrawDoc.SerializeBrush(Brush& m_pBrushStyle, CArchive ar)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.C2dObj.Serialize2dObj(CArchive ar)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.C2dObj.Serialize(CArchive ar)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CMatrixObj.Serialize(CArchive ar)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CDrawRect1.Serialize(CArchive ar)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CArchive.WriteObject(CRuntimeClass pObj)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CObList.Serialize(CArchive ar, Type type)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CDrawObjList.Serialize(CArchive ar)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CDrawGroup.Serialize(CArchive ar)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CSymbolHead.Serialize(CArchive ar)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CArchive.WriteObject(CRuntimeClass pObj)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CObList.Serialize(CArchive ar, Type type)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CDrawObjList.Serialize(CArchive ar)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CDrawGroup.Serialize(CArchive ar)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CSymbolHead.Serialize(CArchive ar)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.CDrawDoc.Serialize(CArchive ar)
vid Stardraw.Sdps01.Export.SaveToStream(DrawingView drawing, Stream stream)
vid StardrawDesign7.ViewerControl.ExportStardraw(String fileName)
vid StardrawDesign7.ViewerControl.ExportFileHandler(UICommand command, Object[] args)
vid Stardraw.Design.UICommand.Invoke(Object[] args)
vid Stardraw.Design.CommandDictionary.Invoke(String commandName, Object[] args)
vid StardrawDesign7.ViewerControl.ExecuteCommand(String name, Object[] param)
vid StardrawDesign7.DocumentForm.ExecuteCommandInternal(String name, Object[] param)
vid StardrawDesign7.DocumentForm.exportToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
vid System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
vid System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
vid System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
vid System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativewindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
vid System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativewindow.WndProc(Message& m)
vid System.Windows.Forms.Nativewindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Kevin Harrison
Kevin Harrison
Symbols Manager (15K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Mats,

Please use the 'Problem Steps Recorder' (PSR) in Windows 7 to record the exact steps taken to receive this error. You can access the PSR by clicking on the Start Button on your desktop and searching for 'psr'. Run PSR.exe from the search results.

Start recording and repeat the steps described in your first post. Once you've received the GDI+ error, have clicked on OK and can no longer save, stop PSR recording and save the .zip file to your hard disk.

Please either post the .zip file here along with your .S07 project file or email them to techsupport @ stardraw dot com and we'll take a look.

Can you try and File> Save As and rename your project - saving it as a different file? If you can save the project successfully and exit SD7, please perform a Windows Update - even if you think your machine is up to date - and install all available updates. Then run SD7 and accept any updates. Please let us know if works?

Regards,

Kevin Harrison
Mats
Mats
I will test this, but just some more info to You:

It's not possible to save as another project, You get the same error messages.

My project is around 90 MB in size, and the autosave file (.s05) is also around 90 MB, but when the GdI+ error comes up, and it comes up when You want to save, not before, and You check
Your autosave file, this file is about 15 MB in size.

I have then taken a copy of the Autosave file, because when You exit Stardraw, You must exit in a "normal" way (by file - exit) and then then autosave file is deleted...

If You then copy the small autosave file back, and start Stardraw, You get the message that there is an autosave file, and You press yes, load, and then You get an error message that it's an unexpectod EOF and then Stardraw seems to hangup.

So when the GDI+ error occurs, it seems that this (whatever it is) crashes the internal structure in the projects, and this destroys both the autosave file and you can't save, first timethis happened to me, my project file on the server totally disapeared as well...

Now I save after each change, and I usually save with a new filename, because otherwise I can't be sure that Stardraw doesn't destroy the data I saved a few minutes ago...
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (374K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Mats,

GDI+ is part of the Windows operating system. It's not part of Stardraw Design 7, but Stardraw Design 7 does depend on it.

The error details suggest that the problem is related to interaction between GDI+ and an image in your project.

There are a few steps that would help us help you:

1. Follow the PSR procedure suggested by Kevin earlier.
2. Email us the project file so that we can attempt to reproduce the issue.
3. Perform a Windows Update to ensure that all Windows components are up to date and undamaged.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...