Create filled polygon

Author
galaxyguide
Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
How do I fill an object other than circle or rectangle? Specifically trying to make arrowed boxes with a fill in them, (a rectangle with a triangle on one side in which text can be displayed, usually used to indicate wiring coming in or going off page to different drawing). I put text in these boxes that indicates which device and input/output number, and page number to reference. Tried the UDP route, tried stretching a rectangle, ungrouping/grouping, single line construction and grouping.
JohnParker,CTS,CSP
JohnParker,CTS,CSP
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)
What I've done is I will create a rectangle and or square or both - larger than the custom shape, fill them with white for example and right click "order" to back. Then I'll add additional multiple rectangles and squares shapes filled with what best matches background colour and "trim" so that it fits the outside of the shape. The paste array function comes in handy when there are some consistencies within the custom shape you've made to help you save time, with quick adjustment or add/delete of more multiples.

I'm commenting in interim to SD's response - just in case you're in a hurry to get your drawing done.

It would be fantastic if there was a shortcut key & button that would allow custom shapes to be filled, and to have a colour match dropper that automatically 'saw' the original colour and provided preview - for both lines and fills.... Rob?
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (372K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Currently only individual objects that support the Fill Color property can be filled i.e. Rectangles and Ellipses, but as John rightly points out you can assemble multiple objects to achieve the effect of filled polygons.

Having said this, objects such as closed Polylines imported from AutoCAD can be filled, so this could also provide a route to your objective.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being 'not at all useful' and 10 being 'critically important', what is your view on the importance of having a Polygon tool?

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Edited 12 Years Ago by Rob Robinson
galaxyguide
galaxyguide
Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)
Making blocks of different shapes and filling them with different colors and text seems fundamental to creating flow diagrams; that said, because there is a viable work around, I would prioritize linetype scale, so that dotted and dashed lines display as such at different plot sizes.

8 - polygon fill

10- line scaling
c9thomps
c9thomps
Supreme Being (890 reputation)Supreme Being (890 reputation)Supreme Being (890 reputation)Supreme Being (890 reputation)Supreme Being (890 reputation)Supreme Being (890 reputation)Supreme Being (890 reputation)Supreme Being (890 reputation)Supreme Being (890 reputation)
A fill tool would be a 9 for me, this is a basic drawing function that even Paint utilizes.

Thank you, Chris
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...