tabs

Author
galaxyguide
Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
why does this program make me feel like an idiot. Don't answer that, I am sure it is a feature. I guess I expect it to act like a cross between excel and autocad, and it does not do that exactly.

Sorry, I digress, but I can't believe I have to ask this question: how do you create a copy of a tab in the title block? I would rather not have to recreate 3 of every size title block, in order to get my audio/video/control legend on each title block, I thought perhaps a new tab and cut and paste would work. Heck, I don't even know how to create a new tab without importing a new drawing (importing my legends drawing from .s01 created a new tab).

yes, I looked through the indexed help searching for "tabs" and "title blocks", no, I did not rewatch the titleblock customization video, yes I searched the forum topics.

Thank you,

Linda
galaxyguide
galaxyguide
Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)
ok, I figured it out, I just chose new drawing / pictorial (does it matter?) from the dashboard, then cut and paste. duh. but the inserted titleblock does not grab the Project/Title from the dashboard field of the working drawing... wonder why.
galaxyguide
galaxyguide
If I have several tabs in a drawing, why won't the "project/client name" on the title block pull from the project details page? ....
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (372K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Linda,

If you're not seeing project details getting inserted into a title block then clearly something is wrong.

Please zip up and attach to a post, or email us, the project file and the title block template file - we'll be happy to check it out.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
galaxyguide
galaxyguide
This is kind of messy I am in the middle of it, anyway look at the Audio and Video Tabs, I have inserted the title block the file has the Project Title direction but it doesn't show up on the actual title block.

As a side note, I am using pictorial and block tabs, so I can import whatever I need into whichever tab and then cut and paste, since my company wants a hybrid of pictorial and block. I don't exactly know how this is going to affect my product list and thus reports, but if you have insights about that also, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Linda
Attachments
CUSOM OR-ICU Control Room.zip (384 views, 2.00 MB)
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Linda,

The zip contained the project file but not the title block template file - we do need this to see what's going on so please also send or attach the title block file.

Regarding 'hybrid' drawings, we are working on some features to make this feasible, but right now it's an approach that's attempting to break the underlying architecture; a Block is a Block, a Pictorial is a Pictorial, and the two should not mix. It might be fine for you, but SD7 isn't (currently) designed for it, so you may encounter some interesting effects.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
galaxyguide
galaxyguide
Sending it to your email account, even the zip file is too big too attach.

I'll address the hybrid issue with my team.
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Linda,

Thanks for sending the title block - I have replied by email.

The issue was that you were using the field name [Document\Title] when it should have been [Project\Title]

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Edited 12 Years Ago by Rob Robinson
galaxyguide
galaxyguide
Excellent! thanks for finding that detail in my title block template.

Just updated our team on SD7. I do feel like I have explored a good bit of the program and can see its advantages. I know you say it is not designed for the hybrid yet, but our company does not want to conform to the limitations of the program, they want pictorial and block, and they want it in one drawing, so looks like I will be making hybrids.

It would be nice to not break the architecture, so if there is a reasonable work around that you or your programmers can bless, let us know. So far I haven't really had a problem with the hybrid, other than my product list is out of hand. I am pushing hard to have us actually use the computer to tally and count... since computers do that so well, but no one else here is as excited as me about using this feature.

Might UDP's be the answer to this quandry?

I have created UDP's of some of block products that we are going to routinely use, since the block was too big for the prefered page size. For instance the Crestron DM switcher, I compressed the cards and switcher and put them into my UDP library; they work really well, snap into place, show up on my product list.

I can insert actual jpg's of equipment that customers see such as cameras, speakers, monitors but need to know how to add a connector tab that the cable tool will snap to, I presume I can do something in the UDP creation window.

I think I am going to work in a pictorial tab for all of our small systems, once I get into the control rooms though working in block makes more sense.

Any organizational thoughts about how to create UDP's to my advantage, in the hybrid system?

Thank you for your patience.
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Linda,

UDPs probably would be the answer; with a UDP, as you've discovered, can can make a symbol look any way you want.

It may well be that SD7 can do exactly what you want out of the box, even though it's outside the expected workflow. Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...