Re-experiencing SD7 some questions

Author
chrisccs
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I've been using Stardraw in and out for the last 20 years now (shuttle CAD in the early days) and I'm happy to discover the new environment of SD7.

However as I go through it, a few questions pops up. I though it could be usefull for the community to have them raised in the forum for everybody's knowledge.

1 Zoom - mouse wheel interaction

As I was working with some drawing, I discovered various state for the mouse wheel:

1 Wheel zoom in and out

2 Wheel controls the up-down lift

3 Wheel controls the left-right lift

The 1st state is surely what I would have expect as normal control for the wheel. The two other states just happened without me having a clue of what I did to end up there or to go back to state 1.
Could we have any information of how to toggle between these states?

2 Dashboard wish list

1 As I was drawing, I felt the need to rearange a few elements of my drawing but wanted to keep of copy of the work as done. Similar situation would appear as you are working onto a new revision of a drawing but needs to keep track of the previous versions.
I would have loved to find a rightclick function allowing me to create a new drawing based onto the one selected.
Currently you can open a new drawing and past all the elements of the previous one into it, this is a bit heavy. This process doesn't affect the product list.

2 As more and more drauwing are created into my project, I felt the need of organising them not as per their creation sequence, but my own arrangement (low votage together, speaker, network etc) Couldn't do it. If this is beeing implemented, it would probably be interesting to be able to organise the drawings with their icons (as now) but also as a table with name of the drawing, date of creation, revision etc alowing the user to sort drawings by their name, date, revision etc (windows style: big icon, small icon, detail etc)

3 use of In/ out stubs

As I spread my project on to several drawings, I make an extensive use of input and output stub from the library / generic components. Following the general logic of SD7 with regards to the product handeling, I would believed that to an output stub of one drawing we should get thecorresponding input stub onto another. Logically, the cable to the outputstub on one drawing should have the same reference on the other drawing fromthe input stub to the next element. I tried something onto a test drawing. Thestub do appear on the product list, this means that somehow stardraw does notunderstand my philosophy. Am I doing something wrong here or this is it?

It's all for now, but answers to these issues would really help me out.

Thanks

Christian

Christian Delvaux

Back in Belgium !
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (374K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Chris,

1. Rolling the mousewheel should always zoom in/out.

Mousewheel + Shift = pan vertically

Mousewheel + Ctrl = Pan horizontally

Add Alt key for 10x effect.

What you're describing - a random change in mousewheel behavior - does not sound right; please ensure that you have the latest driver from the mouse manufacturer.

2.1. As you say, you can create a new drawing and just paste in what you want. A couple of mouse clicks could be saved with a 'Duplicate Drawing' shortcut and we will add this to the wishlist.

2.2 Drawing tab management is on the development roadmap.

3. The concept of continuing information across drawings is not yet supported so SD7 does not understand what you're trying to do. We will need to think about this.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
chrisccs
chrisccs
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)
Hi Rob,

thanks for your fast reply, it seems the forum is faster than the email Wink

1 mouse: No everything seems fine with my mouse and the behavious you just described works just fine thanks for doing it.

I know how I got stuck: 1 select type a text and type it 2 click outside of your text box to validate your entry 3 use the arrows to move your text 4 you already should notice that it is your drawing moving and not the text 5 play with you wheel 6 got it?

2 great hope to see it soon

3 one way of doing it would be to create parts (ref to the post of Jerry for the environment issue : audio, video, control...)that could be devided in 2 and transparent to the product list, it suddenly sounds tricky because of the outline of the part that could be big on a single drawing or spread over 2 drawings.

Another way would be to use a in part and an out part and explain to the system that they "work" together, doesn't sound less tricky though!

I made an extensive use of this into this new project, I'm surprised the request never came out before.

Christian

Christian Delvaux

Back in Belgium !
chrisccs
chrisccs
Rob,

This keeps on turning into my head...

I have played a little bit on my test drawings with crown amp and PIP module as I thought this could be a solution as well.

It is like 2 parts of (eventually) the same object but the experience was not so conclusive as it didn't seems the soft is handeling it this way anymore.

They use to be a snap to object before now? Anyway this is jus a visual thing and doesn't appear to be the solution.

But my one person brainstorm might give you an idea...

By the way all the improvement in the general whishlist are to be implemented regulary as they appear or it only comes out as SD8 to be paid?

Rgds

Christian

Christian Delvaux

Back in Belgium !
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Chris

Use Snap to Path and, to be sure that modules insert into exactly the right place, turn on the Module Targets layer when you're inserting modules into a sub-frame.

Most of the requests that are referred to as being 'on the development roadmap' are expected to be included in SD7. It's far, far too early to be talking about SD8.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Edited 12 Years Ago by Rob Robinson
chrisccs
chrisccs
Rob,

Although I appreciate your answer with regards to the snapping of module, you probably missed my point.

Surely because I wasn't clear enough!

I was still brainstorming over the "continuation" thing (Don't know why I want to call this tags, anyway you know a better english than me)

As said in my first post, I used from the block schematic environment library a generic component called input or output stub. I now understand this is used to insert into a product to add ins and outs to a product rather than creating the continuation tags.

The reason I came up with PIP is because I understand it is mandatory for the software to create the cable list ignoring those tags to associate the "in" tag to the "out" tag although they are at 2 different locations within the same drawing or even on another one. And I was just wondering if the principle developped around the PIP module could not be one of the way you could think about to propose us a solution to that request.

Here below you have a screenshot of my network drawing. It actually shows a couple ethernet switches and the lines entering them.

The line are actually comming from the LAN connection of a group of amplifiers.

http://forums.stardraw.com/Uploads/Images/8f564c9e-faa9-4eef-bce9-64ee.JPG

The amplifiers are visible on the Amp/speakers drawing where I did create several tags the same way. Eventually as I export the list of cable (still needs to check if this is project or drawing based) I should end up with the cable of the amp to the tag and the cable from the tag to the switch beeing a single cable only.

Hope this helps

good night

Christian

Christian Delvaux

Back in Belgium !
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Chris,

Yes, this sort of requirement sounds like it's tied up with 'continuation' so we'll factor it into our thinking when we work on this feature.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...