Multiple drawings and the product list

Author
Mats
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I have a project where I will have 3 different rack cabinets in three different locations.
The system is to large to fit in one drawing, so i plan from the begining to create 3 block schematics and 3 rack drawings.

Now I start to get a little bit confused...

If I just have one block schematics and one rack drawing, it's quite clear.
I add a product in the product list, the product appear in the bottom line of the drawing, and in the bottom line in the rack drawing (one comment here, it's very hard to see
in the bottom section of the rack drawings what product it is, if you have 10 1U products, that are quite similar in the rack drawing, but anyway different things, you just see a red square, no more info available...)
When You use the product, the product dissapear from the bottom section, and appear in the drawing, if You delete it in the drawing, it pops up in the bottom section.

But if I add one or two rack drawings, I add a product, and I use the product in rack drawing no one, the product dissapear from the bottom section.
If I now select rack drawing no 2, the product is there again, and the same for rack drawing no 3.
I have assumed that with the central database, that shall keep track on the products, and if I have one specific product, and is using the product in one drawing, then it shouldn't be possible
to use the product in the next drawing in the same project, or ?

Any explanation of the logic here, perhaps I have just get it wrong ?

Best regards
Mats
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (374K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Mats,

We call the area at the bottom of the drawing windows the Available Symbols Palette.

It shows symbols for any product in your project for which there is a symbol for the current Drawing Type (e.g. a Rack Layout symbol) if the product instance is not in the current drawing.

So if Amp #1 is in Rack Layout #1 and you create a new drawing Rack Layout #2, the Available Symbols Palette will show a symbol for Amp #1 because it is not yet used in Rack Layout #2.

I recommend setting the Name attribute for the products that you insert into drawings. 'Name' is displayed in the Available Symbols Palette to help you identify particular product instances.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Mats
Mats
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)
Thanks, it helped a lot.

Is it still the case that the name field and other fields (Location, Product ID ...) can't be refered to in the block schematics ?

Br
Mats
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Mats,

I'm confused - that was never the case.

All attributes are shown in the Properties Grid for all drawing types; Block Schematics are no exception.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Mats
Mats
Sorry, what I mean is that I want to put the data in the field "Product ID" as a part of the block schematic symbol.So if I have 4 receivers, same type, same symbol, but on the first symbol I see the text "REC01", on the second "REC02" and so on, if the Product ID is REC01, REC02...

Can I do that ? (I could in dev 2007 version).

Br
Mats
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Mats,

This is not possible at the moment - SD7 does not support text substitution in symbols.

It is, however, on the development roadmap.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...