Maybe this is an Excel question....

Author
domroz
Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am working in AV2007 and have an issue with a report we have created. IT is a cable schedule and the first column is CS_Name. These values are of the type a101 and a1012. However we have used the auto numbering tool to set the attribute using a prefix of a, then the autonumber text. This means that they come into excel in two parts. How do I do a sort on these values so that I have a nice report, ordered by CS_NAME

Many thanks, Dom

Dominic Rozendaal

Design & Production Resources Ltd.
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (370K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Dom,

As you know, the Edit Attributes tool allows you to set a format for any numeric value, so if, for example, you set a format of "a000", the value "1" will display as "a001". Likewise the format "b100" wil take the same value "1" and display it as "b101".

Excel functions similarly, in that any value can have a display format so, as you've found, two identical values formatted differently will display using their formats, but will sort on their (unformatted) value.

A workaround is to save the Excel file out to .txt, which does not support formatting and instead merges the format into the value, and then re-open the .txt file.

I hope I've interpreted this correctly.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
domroz
domroz
Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks Rob. I will try the export to text route

Dominic Rozendaal

Design & Production Resources Ltd.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...