Layers

Author
Sergei Shulga
Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Rob

I added custom layers to the collection, but when I open a second block schematic my new layers are not present in collection, only in in block schematic where it was created.

Thanks

Sergei

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (374K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Sergei,

Currently it is only possible to add/delete layers in the current document.  This operation does not affect the template on which new documents are based.  We plan to add the ability to create your own custom templates, or similarly customize default document settings, in due course.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com

Markus
Markus
Supreme Being (880 reputation)Supreme Being (880 reputation)Supreme Being (880 reputation)Supreme Being (880 reputation)Supreme Being (880 reputation)Supreme Being (880 reputation)Supreme Being (880 reputation)Supreme Being (880 reputation)Supreme Being (880 reputation)
Is it possible to add Products into Layers? Havn´t found it so I ask. My idea is to put all Audio components (cabeling, products etc) into a Layer audio. The next one is Video and so on. When I print the plot I could mark for example that I only want to print all audio components so I would have the possibility to give a plot with only the audio information to the sound guy, the video guy gets only video and so on.

Cheers
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (374K reputation)
Hi Markus,

Currently, no, and this is by design. All symbols contain objects that are spread across a multitude of layers, so assigning them all to a single layer would in fact break functionality that you may be taking for granted.

However, you can use the Unlock cursor to select individual elements of a symbol and change the layer on which they exist, and I believe this will allow you to achieve your objective.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
epaul
epaul
Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)
Does the unlock feature allow you to edit the products permanently or is it only editing that product on that sheet for that use?

Also, I have made a block schematic and redesigned it to be a cover page so I do no need all the standard layers only a select few. I am aware that they can simply be turned off but to simplify the use of layers for others I chose to delete the un-needed layers and keep only those required. However, when I delete the unnecessary layers they tend to mysteriously reappear on occassion. There doesnt appear to be any particular patturn to it. On some sheets none will come back, on others layers such as audio circuit paths, control circuit paths, rear high end detail, clearances, sideview, etc all appear. I have checked that none of the objects in use are on any of these layers and clearly there is no need to have a clearances layer on my cover page so this is leading me to believe that it may be a bug related issue. If possible could you please let me know if you can duplicate these occurances and if you can find a solution.

And while I'm on the subject, what does the locked checkbox do in the layers box?

Thanks once again!

-Eric
David Snipp
David Snipp
Architect (431K reputation)
The unlock feature allows you to edit all the pieces of the drawing - whether they are in a symbol or a group. It does not modify the original symbolic representation of the product. If you want to do this, then you should create your own User Defined Product and edit the symbols there.

As for Layers, Stardraw Design 7 uses layers to determine whether you are looking at the Front View or the Rear View or viewing Punching etc. etc. etc. If those layers are missing for any reason, then Stardraw will automatically create them otherwise you won't have access to some of the functionality and it would be very confusing if a layer was missing and now you couldn't use a part of Stardraw Design 7.

Put another way; There is a data specification for all symbols in Stardraw Design 7 and the software expects the symbols to conform to that specification in order for it to function correctly.

The Locked checkbox should prevent changes being made to entities on that layer, but it looks like that doesn't seem to always work - we will investigate.

David Snipp
Stardraw.com Ltd
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...