Rack Units as an attribute

Author
jhevel
Supreme Being (572 reputation)Supreme Being (572 reputation)Supreme Being (572 reputation)Supreme Being (572 reputation)Supreme Being (572 reputation)Supreme Being (572 reputation)Supreme Being (572 reputation)Supreme Being (572 reputation)Supreme Being (572 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I know how to create custom attributes for a symbol, but is there a way to create that same attribute for several symbols at once? I want to have "Rack Units" as an attribute for every symbol. This way, I can have it appear in a report, thus guiding me on the type of equipment rack to specify.

Thanks,

Jim

Thank you,

Jim

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (372K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Jim,

The best way to do this is to use the External Datasource.  This sets up a spreadsheet containing the manufacturers and models that you're interested in and allows you to set any attribute.

1. Select Tools | External Datasource.
  2. Select the manufacturers to add to the spreadsheet.
  3. Select or type in the Attribute names you want, e.g. Rack Units, and click Add to List
  4. Click on OK and, when the datasource has been generated click on View Datasource - this will open the External Datasource in Excel.  Note that there is a tab for each Manufacturer, a column for eack Attribute Name and a row per product.
  5. When you set attributes in the External Datasource they will be added to the symbol when you drag it into a drawing.  To synchronize existing drawings with new values from the External Datasource, select Edit | Update Attribute Values.

Using the External Datasource you can add any attributes you want to any product quickly and easily; it's particulary useful for pricing data and, of course, because you're using Excel you can use all of Excel's features, like calculations, links to other spreadsheets etc.

See also http://www.stardraw.com/products/stardrawav/NewFeature.asp?date=0310

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...