Consecutive numbering - Connectors

Author
HPF
Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Rob

is there a way to use 'Edit Attributes' to automate consecutive numbering in panel drawings to connector engravings? Sort of as in block diagram cable numbering?

Please advise, thanks.

Thanks & Best Regards

Hanspeter Frick

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (372K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Hanspeter,

Yes - the Edit Attributes tool is very flexible and can be used to set the value of any attribute in any object in a drawing.

In Stardraw, a text object can be associated with an attribute in the Symbol to which it, the text, belongs.  Once associated, the text will display that attribute's value and will update whenever the attribute's value changes.

To use the Edit Attributes tool to set sequential engraving for a number of connectors follow this procedure.

1. Insert one connector.
  2. Unlock the document.  This allows you to edit the individual components of symbols, but - IMPORTANT - remember to uncheck Unlock as soon as you have finished editing the symbol.
  3. Doubleclick on the engraving text in the symbol.
  4. In the Text dialog, in the Text From group, click on the Attribute radio button and select the attribute to which you want to associate the text.  I suggest "Function" which is unused by default.  You'll notice that the text disappears (because the Function attribute currently has no value). Click OK.
  5. IMPORTANT - uncheck Unlock.
  6. Copy the connector to create the number of connectors that you want.
  7. Select the Edit Attributes tool and choose Function from the list of attribute names.
  8. Set Type as Number and apply whatever format you want e.g. "Mic 00" will display as Mic 01, Mic 02 etc
  9. Set the Value to your start value, e.g. 1, and ensure that Auo Increment is checked.  Click on OK
  10. Click on each connector.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
HPF
HPF
Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I can't get this to work at all. This is what I do:

- I have an audio stub (input or output) to which I want to add some text with consecutive numbering. Or just use text with consecutive numbering. So I use the text tool to add text to the stub.

- I select the text and go to properties, select text attributes and select Symbol_Function as attribute (there is no attribute Function). This makes my text disapper. I lock the symbol, and copy it.

- I select the attributes tool, select Symbol_Function as my attribute I want to increase with consecutive numbering, etc.

- but nothing happens after that; no numbering appears at all although it says that it increases the value, etc

So what is wrong with this?

Ah - worked it out so don't worry about

Thanks & Best Regards

Hanspeter Frick

Edited 13 Years Ago by HPF
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...