Portable racks with front and rear panels.

Author
Phil Heid
Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
So after the webinar, I still have questions about Stardraw AV being able to design portable racks with rackable components mounted both front and rear as elegantly as it can handle a single sided rack. 

I realize I can draw almost anything, but can I create a schematic and have it do a rack layout with front and rear components being configured as an integrated unit? 

--

Phil Heid | Sales Engineer ETCP CEE

Creative Stage Lighting Co., Inc.

Ph 518.251.3302 ext 203

phil@creativestagelighting.com

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (372K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Phil,

I think the question is, what problem are you trying to solve?  Or, in other words, what do you want to achieve?

As you know, Stardraw AV is a 2D package, not a 3D one.  The rear view of a rack is achieved by turning some layers off, other layers on, and mirroring the world.  There's an X axis and a Y axis but no Z axis - the impression of the third dimension is an illusion.

Undoubtedly what you want to achieve can be done in 2 dimensions, but I'd like to fully understand the objective before considering the method.

In our world the Rear View is more about the backplane of products than the rear face of a rack.  In fact, in the scenario of a rack with front- and rear-mounted products it might be more accurate to think of it as a double-fronted rack, and I think this might actually be the best solution for you.  In a drawing, particularly in hardcopy, it probably makes most sense to show the front and rear (and side) views side by side - certainly that is something efficient that you can give the guys that are building it.  There's a FAQ on this at http://www.stardraw.com/products/stardrawav/FAQ.asp?FAQ=RL001

I realize this is a long, non-answer to your original question (!) but if we can nail down the final objective without any preconceptions or assumptions, then the answer will probably be very simple.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com

Phil Heid
Phil Heid
Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)Supreme Being (825 reputation)
Thanks for the quick reply Rob

Ultimately, we'd need to populate the rear of the rack with components on panels, that are internally wired to components on front panels.  If this is possible as a 'dual rack' concept that's ok, but otherwise I'd hope to retain all the design capabilities that you showed in the webinar.  

--

Ph 518.251.3302 ext 203

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (372K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Understood.  Yes, this is pretty easy and there are lots of ways you could achieve any particular end result. 

One way would be to create the panels in the Panel Layout environment and save them as your own Rack symbol, or product.  This gives you the freedom to do anything you want with them, e.g. make them front mounted or rear-mounted by moving the symbols to different layers and, maybe, mirroring if rear-mounted.

Or you could just copy from Panel Layouts and paste into Rack Layouts in either view.

Or you could create native Rack products using the Generic Components in the Racks library (particularly Connectors Rear).

And there are probably other ways I haven't thought of.

I'd recommend playing with the demo to see which method works best for you. Please post back to this forum if you have any operational questions.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com

Phil Heid
Phil Heid
Thanks again Rob. Your reply addresses the only remaining concern I had.

--

Ph 518.251.3302 ext 203

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...