Snap to Grid function

Author
HPF
Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Can you please explain the logic behind the grid values under Document Properties/Grid. I want to edit or create a rack symbol, and take an existing symbol for editing as per your suggestion in a previous post. Normal grid is 0,025 and 0,044 in Rack layout mode, and 1 snap to grid. This is too coarse to place knobs or LEDS or whatever, so I would like this to be a tenth. No snap is no good as this makes lining up parts very hard.

So I try to change from 1 snap to grid to 10 snap to grid - expecting this means there will be 10 snaps between each grid point. But this makes no difference. So I try and change the grid to 0,0025 and 0,0044, and leave the 1 snap to grid. But this makes no difference either. It is always 1 snap to 0,025 and 0,044.

Please explain how this works.

Also, in another post you state that it is possible to export/import to AutoCAD, and use this for editing. Would I simply place 1 symbol on a blank rack drawing, save it into AuoCAD, edit it, open it again into Stardraw....and voila? What happens to the attributes attached to the symbol?

Cheers

HP

Thanks & Best Regards

Hanspeter Frick

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (372K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Hanspeter,

Yes, if in the Document Properties sheet, Grid tab, you set "No of Snaps" to 10, you will get 10 snap points per grid unit.  It works exactly as you would expect.

Have you set No of Snaps in both X and Y?  Did you click on OK to apply the new No of Snaps value?

Note that values set in the Document Properties sheet are a Document-level setting and apply only to the current document.  If you start a new document, its settings will be the defaults defined in the template on which it is based.

Re: AutoCAD, yes you simply Save As with DWG as your Flile Type.  To open a DWG simply select File | Open.

Since the DWG format does not support Attributes, all Attribute information will be lost when you save as DWG. 

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...