Adding stubs

Author
HPF
Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
How can I add or edit a wire stub on a library symbol?

E.G. I place a switcher in a block diagram, and want to add an input or an output. I can unlock the device and simply copy and paste a stub, rename it, and thats it. But this seems to be somewhat unreliable, as sometimes it does not lock to the wiring, or when the symbol is moved it does not move with it.

Any suggestion, please?

Thanks & Best Regards

Hanspeter Frick

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (374K reputation)
Group: Administrators
The correct way to edit a symbol is to drag it into the Library List under My Libraries, then doubleclick on it to edit the base symbol file.

If you want to create your own folder structure under My Libraries, rightclick and select New Folder.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com

HPF
HPF
Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)Supreme Being (5.9K reputation)
Hello Rob

I am still struggling with this............

1. I pick a symbol from the On Line or Off Line Library, and save in into My Library as a new symbol

2. I double-click on the new symbol to edit it; e.g. in this case it is a wireless mic system, and I move the receiver to increase the gap between transmitter and receiver

3. I close the symbol, and on the prompt 'to save' select yes

4. I drag my new, edited symbol onto a drawing and wire it up

..........and when I move it the wiring did not lock to it

whats missing?

HP

Thanks & Best Regards

Hanspeter Frick

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Hanspeter,

Please zip up and post to this thread a) the symbol file and b) the drawing that contains the symbol and shows the problem. Or, if you prefer, you can email it to techsupport @ stardraw.com.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com

HPF
HPF
Hello Rob

can you please clarify for me - does the layer the stub is on have to correspond with the layer the the wire is on? I assume so, as since I have paid attention to this I had no problems with this issue with other symbols.

I will e-mail you my file, as I had no success with posting it here.

HP

Thanks & Best Regards

Hanspeter Frick

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Hanspeter,

I have emailed you, but for those following this thread the problem you were experiencing was caused by the fact that you had created a 'compound' symbol representing multiple products. 

A symbol is designed to represent a single product.  You were trying to connect cables 'inside' your symbol (i.e. inside a product) which makes no sense in Stardraw.  Cables and doglegs connect between products, not inside them.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...