Classifying Cable Types and Layers

Author
Chardy
Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Please Help......w00t

Ok, so I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to classify a cable so that it hides when i turn its respective layer off. I can name it and give it a number, connector type and all that good stuff, i just can't seem to classify it to a layer. Maybe i have misunderstood the function of turing layers on and off.

Also, when using the 'dogleg' is it not possible to draw from the left of an object without having to click multiple times? Would it be better to use the 'cable' tool? And what are the different purposes of the two tools (in other words, why have both of them)?

Thanks. I'm really enjoying being able to map my racks so neatly.
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (374K reputation)
Group: Administrators
To assign an object or a collection of objects to a layer simply select it (or them) and choose the desired layer e.g. Audio Circuit Paths, from the dropdown box on the left of the Position toolbar.  This is normally found just above the Library List.

Tip: do not change the layers of symbols.  Instead only select the cable/dogleg objects that you want to move to the new layer.

Once you have selected a layer, all new objects that you create will be placed on that layer, until you select a different layer.  So in normal use it is good practice to select the layer you want, then draw all the connections for that layer.

Regarding the difference between the Dogleg tool and the Cable tool, the Dogleg is for simple connections and the Cable is for more complex connections.  Click and drag to create a Dogleg - it always has 3 segments (2 horizontal and 1 vertical).  For connections with more segments always use the Cable tool.  Click once to start drawing the Cable, click once to set each corner or 'vertex' and doubleclick to finish.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com

Chardy
Chardy
Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)Supreme Being (773 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Awesome. Thanks a ton.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...