dogleg or cable properties

Author
AllenC
Supreme Being (279 reputation)Supreme Being (279 reputation)Supreme Being (279 reputation)Supreme Being (279 reputation)Supreme Being (279 reputation)Supreme Being (279 reputation)Supreme Being (279 reputation)Supreme Being (279 reputation)Supreme Being (279 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is there a way to define a cable (Cat5,14/4,Control,Fiber,Ect)

This would allow me to drag a predefined cable into the block diagram

It would include the wire, connectors, and length of cable with pricing for prewiring

Block A is my Home Run Room

Block B is the Zone or Room

C is the wire and I know it to be a 14/4 wire for the speakers

D might be Cat5

E might be Control

I want to drag in C/D/E with a predefined wire length for output to the Zone or Room

This must also show the connection for the installation crew..to be named later

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (374K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Sorry for the delay in replying to your post.

The Library List has been designed to store Products as symbols for use in drawings, and not for predefined cables.  Symbols of products and cables must behave very differently so it isn't possible, in the current version, to do what you describe.  For example, you would never want to reshape a product symbol, but you'll always want to change the shape of a cable (to connect it to product symbols).  Use of the Library List just isn't appropriate for objects that need to be changed in terms of their shape.

You can report on the attributes of the symbols that a cable connects, so getting A and B is no problem.  You may need to customize a report to get the exact layout for the data you want (see the FAQ "Can I customize a report" at http://www.stardraw.com/products/stardrawav/support.asp) and note that the naming convention for cells in the report to get attributes from connected symbols is:

Detail__CS_[From/To]_[Attribute Name]  (note: replace spaces with "_")

e.g. Detail__CS_From_Model_Number (gets the value of "Model Number" from the source symbol) or Detail__CS_To_Room (gets the value of "Room" from the destination symbol)

The simple way to set the attribute values C/D/E is, having drawn all your cables, select all instances of the given type (e.g. CAT5) and hit Alt+Enter on your keyboard.  This displays the Multiple Selection dialog which allows you to set the values for all members of the collection in one go.

Again, apologies for the delay in replying to your post, but I hope that the information above is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...