Creating Equipment Racks from Scratch

Author
D
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
As a newbee, thanks for such a time-saving program! We are enjoying the benefits of your research into how to streamline the process of creating drawings. A question on equipment racks. We will on occasion create a custom rack for a customer. We create drawings in AutoCAD and send them to a specialty rack company and they build per our drawings. In model space, our drawing is created in inches at a 1:1 ratio. Can I just go to a blank rack elevation drawing, 'Create a new UPD', import the .dwg file, and save it? If I set the 'import ratio' to 1:1 will it come out the correct size? Is there a way to place the origin "+" sign in the same relative location as in the drawings by your content creators? Thanks.
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (371K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Dick,

Thanks for your post and the kind words about Stardraw Design 7.3.

To answer your question: in principle, yes.

More specifically, when working in a project you would choose to import the DWG and select in the import scaling dialog a scale of 1 Unit = 1 Inch and set the drawing type as Rack Layout.  This creates a new Rack Layout drawing in the project.

Note that only 2D objects from the DWG will be imported; Stardraw Design 7.3 does not support 3D objects from DWG files.

Once imported you will want to set the objects in the drawing to be on the correct Layers, e.g. the front view objects should be on the Front High Detail layer.

The next step would be to select the things you want in the UDP, rightclick and choose Create User Defined Product from Selection.

When the UDP has been created, rightclick on it in the Product Browser and choose Edit Symbols.  This will allow you to make any adjustments you want to the UDP symbol including moving it to the correct location relative to the insertion point (the blue cross '+' in the UDP Symbol).  For racks the default insertion point should be the bottom left corner of the lowest rack slot i.e. U #1).

If you encounter any problems please feel free to email techsupport@stardraw.com including the DWG and .S07 project files for your rack.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Dick Perin
D
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Rob Robinson - 7/17/2023 2:31:22 PM
Hi Dick,

Thanks for your post and the kind words about Stardraw Design 7.3.

To answer your question: in principle, yes.

More specifically, when working in a project you would choose to import the DWG and select in the import scaling dialog a scale of 1 Unit = 1 Inch and set the drawing type as Rack Layout.  This creates a new Rack Layout drawing in the project.

Note that only 2D objects from the DWG will be imported; Stardraw Design 7.3 does not support 3D objects from DWG files.

Once imported you will want to set the objects in the drawing to be on the correct Layers, e.g. the front view objects should be on the Front High Detail layer.

The next step would be to select the things you want in the UDP, rightclick and choose Create User Defined Product from Selection.

When the UDP has been created, rightclick on it in the Product Browser and choose Edit Symbols.  This will allow you to make any adjustments you want to the UDP symbol including moving it to the correct location relative to the insertion point (the blue cross '+' in the UDP Symbol).  For racks the default insertion point should be the bottom left corner of the lowest rack slot i.e. U #1).

If you encounter any problems please feel free to email techsupport@stardraw.com including the DWG and .S07 project files for your rack.

I hope this is helpful.

Perfect! Thanks, Rob - I appreciate it
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...