Matrix Switcher Layout and Drawing Proportions

Author
d
Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)Junior Member (23 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Stardraw community,

Laying out large video system diagrams I've noticed the larger format matrix switchers from several major manufacturers are laid out in a very tall vertical pattern on block schematics. The size of these types of these components is very different from the other types of blocks and is an outlier. While I understand the ability to move where on the switcher each card is already present, this vertical chassis layout brings drawing challenges with regard to proportions both on screen and paper. I've attached a screenshot showing, in my opinion, a more functional block diagram layout for a 16x16 switcher. Is there a functionality/reason to laying them out in the current way that I am missing? 

Thanks!
-DJ

Kevin Harrison
Kevin Harrison
Symbols Manager (15K reputation)
Group: Moderators
dwilliamson - 9/15/2022 3:52:36 PM
Hi Stardraw community,

Laying out large video system diagrams I've noticed the larger format matrix switchers from several major manufacturers are laid out in a very tall vertical pattern on block schematics. The size of these types of these components is very different from the other types of blocks and is an outlier. While I understand the ability to move where on the switcher each card is already present, this vertical chassis layout brings drawing challenges with regard to proportions both on screen and paper. I've attached a screenshot showing, in my opinion, a more functional block diagram layout for a 16x16 switcher. Is there a functionality/reason to laying them out in the current way that I am missing? 

Thanks!
-DJ

Hi DJ,

Thanks for your post.
Many module/card symbols contain ports both on the left and the right and not just on one or the other.  There would therefore be issues with any symbol that had I/Os on both sides if placed in a modular card frame symbol, arranged as you suggest/illustrate.  This is why block symbols for modular chassis/frames and their respective modules/cards are authored in this vertically linear fashion.

As you may already be aware; one of the great features in SD7 is the ability to create your own UDPs.  If your suggested layout works for you and the products you use, there's no reason why you couldn't put together your own UDPs with symbols arranged in any way you choose.

Thanks again for getting in touch. I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Kevin Harrison
Stardraw.com Ltd.

Edited 2 Years Ago by Kevin Harrison
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...