Right drawing dimension/printing questions

Author
M
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Rob/all users

1. Of course the first answer will be 'it depends' but as dumb of role, what is the max scale (or min, depends how u call it) its advised to make a drawing. 
I.e.
Of course there is a maximum paper width (1.2 metres i think) for plotters. If we do not want to print on several pages, what us the advised maximum grid/dimension on the vertical side, whioe the elements/lines/labels/products will still be readable ? (Again, depends on your eyes, and how much small u want your drawing, but for usual people)

2. Is that possible to ask to have a kind of 'show paper limits' on the drawing (like in excel where u can see the print area in white), or u have another idea / woraround ?
We might miss something or trying to make something wrong.

3. We try to print a selection (select. Print selection), but it do not work. What are doing wrong ?
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (370K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Micha,

I'm going to assume that you're talking about Block Schematic drawings, so what follows applies only to that drawing type.

The symbols for Block Schematic drawings are designed to be printed at 1:1.  If, at print time, Block Schematic drawings are output at 80% of their original size, or smaller, you are likely to run into problems with legibility.  So, the rule of thumb is to print the drawing as close as possible to its original size, i.e. 1:1.

You're right to think about adding a guide for the paper size, and the easiest way to do this today is simply to draw a rectangle of the correct dimensions.  So, for example, if you're planning to output to A0 simply add a rectangle that's 1189mm x 841mm and make sure your drawing stays within the boundary of that rectangle.  This will ensure print output at 1:1.

However, if you're going to use a Title Block on your drawing you also need to allow for the borders that the Title Block adds so the following procedure is useful in that scenario:
1) Open your Title Block template project (e.g. "Title Block Templates - Metric.s07")
2) Choose the drawing tab for the paper size and orientation to which you are going to print (e.g. "A0 Landscape")
3) Bring up the Layers dialog and display the layer Title Block Drawing Area.  You will now see a rectangle inside the Title Block template that is used to fit the Title Block to a finished drawing. Copy this rectangle.
4) In your working drawing, paste the rectangle and use that to define the boundary for any objects you use in the drawing; this will ensure that print scaling is 1:1 when the A0 Landscape Title Block is added and you then print to an A0 sheet.

Regarding your third question, you can use File | Print Area to print a section of your drawing.  To set the Print Area:
1) Choose File | Print Area | Set
2) Drag a rectangle around the area you want to print.
3) Choose File | Print

To remove the Print Area choose File | Print Area | Clear

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Bman
B
Supreme Being (254 reputation)Supreme Being (254 reputation)Supreme Being (254 reputation)Supreme Being (254 reputation)Supreme Being (254 reputation)Supreme Being (254 reputation)Supreme Being (254 reputation)Supreme Being (254 reputation)Supreme Being (254 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks!

It also raises a question/request: suppose I have a large plan, and I'd like to have it all plotted out on A0 - but I also want the title block around it. It seems rather straightforward: if I know how wide my drawing is I can add a custom size to the metric template with the same height as the landscape A0 and this specific width for the main frame of the title block.
However, as I cannot change the supplied templates, I saved a test template in another place - and stardraw doesn't recognize it as a template (I mean, obviously. Why would it?)

Is there any way this possible?
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (370K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Yes.  The title block templates are fully editable - see the movie "Customizing Title Blocks" #07 at https://www1.stardraw.com/stardraw2/sd7/movies

Note that the default location for the template files is the program installation folder which is usually set to prevent write access, so copy the file to a location to which you do have write access, e.g. your Desktop, before making he changes you want

To select a custom title block for insertion into a drawing, in the Title Block dialog click on the File ellipsis [...] to navigate to the folder and file you want to use for your title block.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...