Working With Layers

Author
Tobinski
Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi 

I have a number of UDP's that i have created and then added a layer in the UDP symbol called XYZ for example

I then create this layer (XYZ) in the drawing I am working on and make it the current layer

When I insert the UDP from the products Library the product drops in on the default parts layer rather than onto the current layer.

Any ideas ?  
Tags
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (374K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Toby,

The top level reference to the symbol (the Parent) is always placed by default on the Parts layer.  You can change its layer later, but you can't change the default layer for the Parent.

The objects that make up the symbol (the Children) will always be placed on the layers on which they exist in the original symbol file.

This behavior is fixed so that View behaviors (Front View, Rear View etc) do not get broken by accident.

Note that if the layer on which the Parent is located is hidden, the Children will be rendered invisible, even if they exist on layers that are still visible.

Note also that if a layer exists in the symbol but not the document into which you're inserting the symbol, the layer will be added when the symbol is inserted.

I hope this all makes sense and is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...