Panel Layout - Change object layer / cut/paste/paste to current layer issues

Panel Layout - Change object layer / cut/paste/paste to current layer...
Author
Genaudio
Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)Supreme Being (4.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I need to change the layer for some objects on panel layout and seems that the easiest way is by changing layer and use "cut" and "paste to current layer" The only problem is that SD7 is offsetting these objects, both with normal paste and paste to current layer with 2 different offset sizes for both paste types.

1. Is there a setting for this offset to become 0?

2. Is there an easier way to change the layer for an object or a selection of objects.

see DOC attached.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

UPDATE

Object layer can be changed by changing layer from the properties dock. Before restarting SD7, I had only the current layer listed with an empty pull-down layer list. Cut/paste problem still same as above.
Attachments
20140125 Stardraw cut-paste.pdf (690 views, 292.00 KB)
Edited 10 Years Ago by Genaudio
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (370K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Genaudio,

As you've found, the right thing to do if you want to change the layer of a part of a symbol is simply to change the layer in the Properties grid.

The use of an offset when pasting is the correct behaviour and by design.

Moreover, you do not want to cut/copy and paste since this simply creates some new objects which are unrelated to the original symbol i.e. if you move or delete the original symbol the pasted objects will not move or be deleted because they don't know anything about the original symbol.

To sum up, if you want to change the layer of something, change the Layer property in the Properties Grid.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Jean-philippe Langevin
Jean-philippe Langevin
Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)
i am also tring to change layer for multiple objects ..i have tried multple options like cut paste to current layer..wich does not work( sometimes does not even paste, some time pastes but on original layer). and also by the property grid. but when i select an equipement.. the drag down menu shows me 1/8 of all my layers ..weirdly....the only way my equipement can be on the proper layer is if i , from the begining, but them in the right layer...( even though it says in the property grid that they are on the part layer, they react to the proper layer )

this is 2 links to videos showing the behaviour

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18mC2dhWGUFfsdP-Cy3JdXOGb61nkD_Rj
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SACiOpKIpORfCLNm7QxF08PXSXSBSa-1

Thank you !
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Jean-Philippe,

To understand what is happening you need to understand fully about Symbols and Layers.

A Symbol is a compound object made up of other objects like Lines, Rectangles, Text etc.  Let's call the Symbol the Parent and the objects it contains its Children.

By default the Symbol is placed on a layer called Parts, but its Children will be on different layers, like "Work Layer" or "Front High Detail".  The layers that the Children are on are defined in the Symbol file.  If you use the Unlock Cursor to select a Child, you will see what layer that object is on.

Changing the layer of the Parent (Symbol) does not change the layers of its Children.

One thing that might confuse you is that if we do not render the Parent, we will not render the Children, even if they are on visible layers. So if you have a Symbol on the Parts layer and it contains a Line that is on layer 0, if you then make the Parts layer hidden you will not see the line, even though layer 0 is visible.  In exactly the opposite way, if you hide layer 0, the Line will not be visible even though the Parts layer, and therefore the Symbol, is still technically visible.

If you want to change the layers of all the objects in a Symbol you can use the Unlock Cursor.  This cursor mode 'drills down' to the basic objects in a Symbol (or Group) allowing you to edit them without affecting the Symbol hierarchy.  But remember - IMPORTANT - to exit the Unlock Cursor when you have finished editing the components of Symbols because it can be very, very destructive when used incorrectly.

I hope this helps you to understand the construction of Symbols and how to use layers in the future.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
Jean-philippe Langevin
Jean-philippe Langevin
Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)Forum Member (37 reputation)
I do indurstand thank you !
PHAmitch
P
Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)
Rob Robinson - 1/24/2019 6:04:29 PM
Hi Jean-Philippe,

To understand what is happening you need to understand fully about Symbols and Layers.

A Symbol is a compound object made up of other objects like Lines, Rectangles, Text etc.  Let's call the Symbol the Parent and the objects it contains its Children.

By default the Symbol is placed on a layer called Parts, but its Children will be on different layers, like "Work Layer" or "Front High Detail".  The layers that the Children are on are defined in the Symbol file.  If you use the Unlock Cursor to select a Child, you will see what layer that object is on.

Changing the layer of the Parent (Symbol) does not change the layers of its Children.

One thing that might confuse you is that if we do not render the Parent, we will not render the Children, even if they are on visible layers. So if you have a Symbol on the Parts layer and it contains a Line that is on layer 0, if you then make the Parts layer hidden you will not see the line, even though layer 0 is visible.  In exactly the opposite way, if you hide layer 0, the Line will not be visible even though the Parts layer, and therefore the Symbol, is still technically visible.

If you want to change the layers of all the objects in a Symbol you can use the Unlock Cursor.  This cursor mode 'drills down' to the basic objects in a Symbol (or Group) allowing you to edit them without affecting the Symbol hierarchy.  But remember - IMPORTANT - to exit the Unlock Cursor when you have finished editing the components of Symbols because it can be very, very destructive when used incorrectly.

I hope this helps you to understand the construction of Symbols and how to use layers in the future.

Hi Stardraw/Rob 

I am getting so frustrated with layers.

I understand the symbols have various layers.

I am currently working on a project where I need lots of different layers and having 3 x each symbol does not help.

I have tried unlocking things so I can put everything on one layer but often the properties only gives me 0 and does not show me my actual layer names therefore cannot move these to one layer.

I have spent a good part of a day trying to sort - starting to think I may have to use another software for this particular projec.

Many thanks,

Mitch
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Mitch,

I'd like to better understand your requirement.  Why do you need to put symbols on so many different layers?  For what will you use this layer structure?  Just to display/hide symbols, or something else?

It may help if we can see the project file; could you email it to techsupport@stardraw.com?.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
PHAmitch
P
Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)Supreme Being (376 reputation)
Rob Robinson - 7/25/2019 12:17:02 PM
Hi Mitch,

I'd like to better understand your requirement.  Why do you need to put symbols on so many different layers?  For what will you use this layer structure?  Just to display/hide symbols, or something else?

It may help if we can see the project file; could you email it to techsupport@stardraw.com?.
Thanks Rob,
I am hoping to have the following example layers: Lighting, Audio, Security, Shading etc.

I want to work on one set of GAs and have the ability to turn the different layers on and off for co-ordination.

Currently I have all of this information on different drawings/ tabs and want to bring over all of the symbols and annotations to one master tab which has all layers on the same GA.

Originally when I brought over the layers it brings lots of layers with - I tried the suggestion of unlocking the drawing and selecting them to go to one layer but as I noted the correct layers aren't visible and does not work. I managed to do it with one layer but the same method did not work for another.

I will send the file over to your email.

Thanks for always getting back so quickly.

Mitc

Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Mitch,

While we wait for the project file, the following information may be helpful:

As you know, the objects that make up a symbol ('the Children') can be on many different layers.  The symbol reference itself ('the Parent') is on a single layer whose name you can see in the Properties Grid when you select that symbol.  So, the Parent might be on the layer "Parts" (which is the default layer for symbols) and its Children will be spread across different layers like "Front High Detail", "Rear High Detail", "Outline" etc.

The important thing to know is that if the Parent is not displayed, its Children will not be displayed even if they are on visible layers.

So, if you change the layer of one symbol from "Parts" to "Lighting" and that of another symbol from "Parts" to "Audio", then by turning off the "Lighting" layer, symbol 1 will disappear.  Likewise turning off "Audio" will make symbol 2 disappear, even though both symbols have objects on the "Front High Detail" layer which is still visible.

In this way you should easily be able to achieve your objective by simply changing the layer of the symbol reference itself, and not worrying about the layers the Children are on.

I hope this makes sense.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...