How do I create a user defined product from selection.

Author
mclewis09
Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I imported an AutoCAD drawing and selected a symbol, right clicked and chose "Create User defined product from selection". I went through the dialogues and finished, but nothing appears in the Product Browser. As a matter of fact, no Stardraw Product are listed there either. How do I make this functional so I can add symbols for products to my AutoCAD drawings?
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (377K reputation)
Group: Administrators
When you import an AutoCAD drawing it has no Drawing Type (Block Schematic, Rack Layout etc) so SD 7 does not know what type of symbol to create from your selection.

I recommend the following workflow:

1) From a drawing created by SD7, e.g. a Block Schematic, select Tools | Create User Defined Product and set the product details, perhaps also creating a Block Schematic symbol using the wizard.

2) Import your DWG and copy the elements you want to make up your custom symbol - let's say it's the Rack Layout symbol

3) Return to the Block Schematic drawing and rightclick on your UDP in the Product Browser, selecting Edit Symbols; this opens the freeform symbol editing mode which has a separate drawing tab for each symbol type.

4) Go to the Rack layout tab and paste (you might need to Zoom to Document (F4) to see the objects)

5) Exit Symbol Editing mode (click the 'x' in the top right and save changes.

You will now be able to use your custom Rack Layout symbol in any Rack layout drawing.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
mclewis09
mclewis09
Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)Supreme Being (735 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Thanks Rob for the response. I gave it a go but still am having problems.

When I pasted the copied symbol into the Block Schematic, it pasted, but he other details from the block disappeared. I assume it has some thing to do with scale. I couldn't find the bounding rectangle or the input I had assigned it. Zoom in...zoom out. It was gone. How does Stardraw deal with drawing scale?

I tired creating user defined products in each of the drawing tabs and nothing succeeded if I tried to paste something copied from the imported autoCAD drawing.

Do you have any other suggestions?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...