Need an executable generated from an old project

Author
kilthenoize
Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have changed PCs several times since I last used Stardraw Control to generate an executable.  I still have a dongle that I use for Stardraw Design, and I thought that the dongle also included the necessary item so that I could run SDC and generate a .EXE.  

SDC will open, but does not recognize the dongle, says I am in trial mode and won't allow me to create the .exe

I just need to get a very old system limping along on a temporary PC with the .exe file, the hard drive on this old system crashed and I cannot retrieve the original.  And of all the things I have saved over the years, I do not have the .exe file.  But I DO have the .SO3, which I imported into SDC 10. 

Either looking to get SDC to work as it should, or find some kind soul to generate my .EXE from the project.   

Bob.
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (340K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Bob,

Download Stardraw Control Machine Licensing at https://blob.stardraw.com/downloads/stardraw/Control%202010/Setup%20Stardraw%20Control%202010%20Machine%20Licensing.exe

This will install the dongle drivers and you'll also need it on the machine that runs the executable.

Dongle drivers can also be installed separately from here

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
kilthenoize
kilthenoize
Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)
Rob Robinson - 10/21/2021 7:19:48 AM
Hi Bob,

Download Stardraw Control Machine Licensing at https://blob.stardraw.com/downloads/stardraw/Control%202010/Setup%20Stardraw%20Control%202010%20Machine%20Licensing.exe

This will install the dongle drivers and you'll also need it on the machine that runs the executable.

Dongle drivers can also be installed separately from here

Thanks Rob, I'm getting closer.  Was able to get SDC to recognize the dongle that is licensed for me to create programs with SDC, and was able to create the executable from it. 

I copied the executable to the machine I intend to use, and windows defender sees that as a severe trojan risk and tries to delete it right away.  Which reminds me, I think I noticed at one point  several years ago Windows Defender going through my entire drive and wiping out all SDC created executables.  Which explains why I could not find it! 

1)  Is this a known issue?  Or is it possible that my SDC had been compromised years ago and the executables it creates are indeed bad?

2)  I cannot get the new Windows 10 machine to recognize the other dongle, the one that has the machine licensing on it to run the executable.  This is the dongle that has been working for years on the old Win7 machine at the customer's site.  When first plugged in, Windows recognizes it and gives me a message that the HASP has been installed, but the dongle does not light up and there is an error in Device Manager.    The link you showed yesterday for dongle drivers only links to an article, there are no driver links.  I searched for Win10 drivers for the HASP, found something and tried it, but Device Manager also did not like it.   The executable will run, but of course will not pass any control strings because it thinks I am unlicensed.

Edited 3 Months Ago by kilthenoize
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Bob,
I should explain that Stardraw Control 2010 has been discontinued for several years now and is no longer supported.  That said...
  1. Machine Licensing needs to be installed on the machine running the executable.  Have you installed this to the new Windows 10 machine?
  2. The page for the driver download shows, at the bottom, "Click to download file..." which then brings up a page of Ts & Cs which you have to agree to by scrolling to the bottom, then the download will commence, 
  3. We can't help with the Windows Defender issue, but surely there is a setting within Windows Defender to allow you to mark a file as safe.
However, since SDC2010 is no longer supported it may not be possible to achieve your objective.  Good luck.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
kilthenoize
kilthenoize
Rob Robinson - 10/22/2021 6:04:42 AM
Hi Bob,
I should explain that Stardraw Control 2010 has been discontinued for several years now and is no longer supported.  That said...
  1. Machine Licensing needs to be installed on the machine running the executable.  Have you installed this to the new Windows 10 machine?
  2. The page for the driver download shows, at the bottom, "Click to download file..." which then brings up a page of Ts & Cs which you have to agree to by scrolling to the bottom, then the download will commence, 
  3. We can't help with the Windows Defender issue, but surely there is a setting within Windows Defender to allow you to mark a file as safe.
However, since SDC2010 is no longer supported it may not be possible to achieve your objective.  Good luck.

Thanks Rob, the link was showing today to "click to download file".  Yesterday there was a message on the page saying something like "trouble with download file links" so I figured that was a permanent thing and was not going to be resolved.  But it was today!  And that driver worked, now Win10 sees the HASP and runs the executable and I'm back in business. 

Regarding the windows defender, yes, I can whitelist that program, which I did.  I thought I might hear from you "yes, this is a known issue, our executables look like trojans" but since I did not........  I guess it is possible that these are indeed infected.  As I started looking thorough my files for the executables from other past projects, I could not find any.  So seems like my SDC generated executables with trojans! 

Thanks again for your help. 
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Hi Bob,

That's good to hear.  Regarding the Trojan thing, well, by definition a Stardraw Control project executable is designed to talk to other devices on other ports and at other addresses, and can make system calls; in other words it can do anything to anything anywhere.  On a computer network that's extremely powerful and, like dynamite, could be used for good or harm.  Defender can't assess the intent of your program, just its capability, so by flagging it it's just 'failing safe'. 

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...