Stardraw Forums

Exporting to PDF

http://forums.stardraw.com/Topic8759.aspx

By msones - 1/17/2012 3:13:57 PM

I can't seem to be able to choose orientation or paper size. Shouldn't it just export whatever you see in the print preview. I have an A5 Landscape size drawing and the export is regular portrait A4 size.

Thank you

Mike
By Rob Robinson - 1/18/2012 3:58:10 AM

Hi Mike,

Please describe the exact steps you're taking so that we can understand and exactly reproduce your actions - many thanks.
By zuk123 - 1/19/2012 12:00:42 PM

Having the same problem.

I have the drawing with a c size landscape ansi title, in page setup I select c size, but export to pdf always is 8.5 x 11 portrait.

zuk
By Rob Robinson - 1/19/2012 1:51:22 PM

We're aware that some users are experiencing problems exporting to PDF in Landscape orientation and are investigating a fix.

For the time being there is a simple workaround.

1. Download the freeware CutePDF Writer (or an equivalent utility). This behaves as a printer.
  2. To generate a PDF, simply select File | Print and choose CutePDF Writer (or equivalent) as your printer.
  3. A PDF will be generated that matches the page orientation etc. defined in File | Page Setup
I hope this is helpful. Thank you for your patience while we work on resolving the PDF Landscape export issue.
By msones - 1/20/2012 1:54:44 PM

I am having a hard time in general with printing. The program WILL NOT remember my paper size when I try to change it from A4. It always go back to A4 when I go back into the Page setup. It will remember orientation and margins but the paper size keeps changing back.
By Rob Robinson - 1/20/2012 2:06:42 PM

Is this within the same drawing, or are you changing drawings? Page settings are saved with each drawing, but each new drawing will get its initial Page Setup settings from Windows defaults.

Please confirm that you have downloaded the latest printer driver, and that you are using the latest version of Stardraw Design 7 (Help | Check for Updates).
By msones - 1/20/2012 2:29:53 PM

I got it to work. I had to change my default printer.
By zuk123 - 1/25/2012 11:43:10 AM

This is still not resolved.

I downloaded and installed CutePDF. I am still not able to create a C-sized drawing from SD7.

SD7 does not remember page setup settings. IE. I go File>page setup> (select ARCH C) click ok.

Print to CutePDF. Open pdf. Drawing is 8.5 x 11.

Go back to SD7, look in file>page setup, and it is back to 'letter'.

I tried setting CutePDF set as my default printer. I have ARCH C set as my default paper size. I get the same behaviour in SD7. No matter how many times I set the page to ARCH C, it always remains letter sized.

The issue is the same with other sizes too. 11x17 always gets created as 8.5x11.

The very strange thing is that SOME of my drawings printed as C size even though when I return to the Page setup dialog, it has reverted to 'letter." Of the 5 drawings I have open, 3 print to CutePDF as C size, and 2 do not.

Another drawing printed as c size until I added the c size title block, then it printed as letter.

Maybe something is wrong with the title block template?

z
By zuk123 - 1/25/2012 12:02:44 PM

So... A work around.

Open the title block template you are using. Select the size you want.

File>page setup (probably shows A4 or letter) select the size for the template you are using. (IE, ARCH C) Click Ok

Move something on the template to enable file save.

Save your template file.

Switch back to your real drawing.

reapply the title block Drawing>titleblock>ok (you may need to change something in a text box, I did, and didn't test if it works without changing text.)

print to CutePDF.

Note that if you go back to the template it will show the default A4 or letter under File>page setup, so that is still broken, but at least you can print a pdf in C size landscape.

z
By epaul - 1/30/2012 8:03:34 PM

I am encountering a similar problem when printing to pdf:

Under page setup my page size is set to 11" x 17", Landscape

When I go file>print, select PDFCreator as my pdf print driver, ensure the page size is set to 11" x 17" Landscape and hit print I get the following windows error message:

"Stardraw Design 7 has stopped working"

It gives me the usual two windows options to check online or close program.

I use the print to pdf function in programs such as Visio with no problems so I can fairly certainly narrow it down to a StarDraw related issue, any help would be lovely as the ability to print to pdf is a fairly critical part of making AV quotes for customers.

Also, export to pdf is not a viable option as it does not give me the control required regarding certain size/scale functions.

Thanks,

-Eric