Stardraw Forums

Feature Request - product search across all online libraries

http://forums.stardraw.com/Topic18566.aspx

By cdeming - 2/10/2020 8:08:26 PM

I would like to request the ability for Product Browser search field to allow for a query across ALL mfg product libraries, not just the ones currently installed. You could go one step further and add an option to download that mfg’s library and continue (instead of going to Tools->Personalization->Manufacturer Libraries, find the Mfg, then add it). Seems like it would be an easy way to sell more libraries!
Even adding this feature to the online search tool would be an improvement, as you currently need to know the mfg before you can search for a model.
By Hughes - 12/17/2020 8:51:52 PM

Hi,
Same here: I need just a cable modem to add in a rack drawing but I have first to search elsewhere for a manufacturer, then back to Stardraw website / Manufacturer Libraries to check if available.
Would be easier to search across all manufacturers.

Thank you
By Rob Robinson - 2/11/2021 12:03:27 PM

Apologies for the delay in replying to your posts, caused by a third party backend system failure.

Your request is noted and it is something that we would hope to add to a future version.
By Hughes - 8/3/2023 8:52:19 AM

Hi Rob,

I'm digging up this aged request.
A way to search across all Model Number+Description available on the online Manufacturer Libraries.
Could be done from website, not necessary inside SD7 if it needs to much effort to implement.

Thank You,
By Rob Robinson - 8/3/2023 12:53:30 PM

Hi Hughes,

Thanks for your post. Yes, this has not slipped off our radar but a problem that concerns us is that results may not be very useful, e.g. if you search for a common term like “loudspeaker” you could get thousands of results.

Can you educate us on why you want to search across ALL manufacturers, what you might be looking for, and the kind of searches you might perform? It would be very useful to have a few examples of what you might be searching for, and how you might conduct that search.
By cdeming - 8/30/2023 10:29:01 PM

Rob Robinson - 8/3/2023 12:53:30 PM

Hi Hughes,

Thanks for your post. Yes, this has not slipped off our radar but a problem that concerns us is that results may not be very useful, e.g. if you search for a common term like “loudspeaker” you could get thousands of results.

Can you educate us on why you want to search across ALL manufacturers, what you might be looking for, and the kind of searches you might perform? It would be very useful to have a few examples of what you might be searching for, and how you might conduct that search.

One of my scenarios is being able to enter a model number (or part of it) in the search field in order to:
1) see if the item exists or has been created,
2) determine if it is in a library already downloaded, or if I need to purchase/download it.

Another scenario is needing to find a substitution for a similar product, usually due to availability or size constraints. In one case I've needed to find a shallower 3sp drawer, and in another I've needed an alternative 8 channel amp. "Value engineering" can really play havoc with designs at times, and this would be another tool to help with the process.

- Cory Deming

By Rob Robinson - 8/31/2023 10:01:26 AM

Thanks Cory,

One question: do you often find yourself in possession of a Model Number without knowing the Manufacturer?
By cdeming - 9/5/2023 6:02:52 PM

Rob Robinson - 8/31/2023 10:01:26 AM
Thanks Cory,

One question: do you often find yourself in possession of a Model Number without knowing the Manufacturer?

No - most of the time I'll either ascertain the mfg from the model number, or the mfg is given with the model.
- Cory
By Rob Robinson - 9/5/2023 9:07:40 PM

Hi Cory,

Thanks, that's helpful.  Given that you know the manufacturer, you can search for the model number on the website, at https://www.stardraw.com/sd7/features/manufacturers, to see if the product exists for the manufacturer and then decide whether you need to add that manufacturer to your selected libraries or, if the product doesn't yet exist, request that it be added to the library.